Films

Box office mojo: winners, losers list

Bom published their annual winners and losers list. Some films they got right but some they didn't. In my view the ones they got wrongWORLD WAR Z- a film that is destined to bomb and earn over 500M worldwide can only be called a toss-up because of the budget. It still earned I would think over 200M.MAN OF STEEL- another film on the toss-up list that should be called a hit earning nearly 700M WW way more than SRKEVIN HART: LET ME EXPLAIN- this was on the winners list being called bigger than films such as WWZ is abnormal. It opened well, disappeared and not very much remembered. I think this film should have been just left off altogether.THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS: CITY OF BONES- this bombed so it was on the losers list but surely there were flops of the same size as mortal instruments (YN, PJSOM, RED 2, KICK ASS 2 should probably all be on the losers list if MI is)PEEPLES- explained underneath though it should be on losers list which it is there are other films that should accompany it.Films that were left off that should be put onELYSIUM- this was completely ignored and should have been out on the losers list or maybe toss- up listGETAWAY/PARANOIA- if PEEPLES is included, these 2 should be aswell especially paranoia on the losers list.THIS IS THE END- a comedy that posted pretty good numbers especially when you remember it faced superman reboot and will cross 100M in a couple of weeks. This should be on the winners listTHE PURGE- forget the frontloadedness, it's massive and surprise opening is enough for this to be in the winners list.Though they did get films right such as STID, DM2, MU, F6, H3, PR, SM2 and othersWhat are your opinions on the listEDIT: THE GREAT GATSBY- another film that was left off the list that should have been on the winners list

Edited by Films

MOS was a winner for three days. After that it just looked shakier with each successive day and getting completely sidelined by MU, WWZ and others did not help. Though it made a respectable total, it looks more like a disappointment because of how its run went.MU might also have looked that way save for its phenomenal performance in Japan.Agree on WWZ, that was a big winner.

Edited by lab276
  • Like 1

It said the Conjuring had the best opening for a rated R film.... Which is not true.

They meant for this Summer, so yes, it's true.

And it's also the highest opening for a R-rated horror movie, too. EVER

Edited by ChD

the reason WWZ is on the toss up list is because the large budget doesn't allow for much profit. They are bringing budget into the equation

putting MOS on the toss up list is understandable but I think they are being a bit harsh in their wording. I would have said "Strong competition (two big movies opening second weekend) combined with mixed word of mouth".   Even a movie like MU had poor holds for a family animated film thanks to competition 

Edited by Robert Muldoon

it's more than that. It is because of the poor legs. Personally though I don't believe the poor legs were entirely due to the WOM. 

Every blockbuster this Summer had shit legs. The best legs were for STID and that had an "OK" opening.

Bom published their annual winners and losers list. Some films they got right but some they didn't. In my view the ones they got wrongWORLD WAR Z- a film that is destined to bomb and earn over 500M worldwide can only be called a toss-up because of the budget. It still earned I would think over 200M.MAN OF STEEL- another film on the toss-up list that should be called a hit earning nearly 700M WW way more than SRKEVIN HART: LET ME EXPLAIN- this was on the winners list being called bigger than films such as WWZ is abnormal. It opened well, disappeared and not very much remembered. I think this film should have been just left off altogether.THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS: CITY OF BONES- this bombed so it was on the losers list but surely there were flops of the same size as mortal instruments (YN, PJSOM, RED 2, KICK ASS 2 should probably all be on the losers list if MI is)PEEPLES- explained underneath though it should be on losers list which it is there are other films that should accompany it.Films that were left off that should be put onELYSIUM- this was completely ignored and should have been out on the losers list or maybe toss- up listGETAWAY/PARANOIA- if PEEPLES is included, these 2 should be aswell especially paranoia on the losers list.THIS IS THE END- a comedy that posted pretty good numbers especially when you remember it faced superman reboot and will cross 100M in a couple of weeks. This should be on the winners listTHE PURGE- forget the frontloadedness, it's massive and surprise opening is enough for this to be in the winners list.Though they did get films right such as STID, DM2, MU, F6, H3, PR, SM2 and othersWhat are your opinions on the listEDIT: THE GREAT GATSBY- another film that was left off the list that should have been on the winners list

KEVIN HART made 32m on a nothing budget. It's a huge, huge hit for its distributor.

ELYSIUM is easily gonna double its acquisition budget. Solid win (just not as big as expected).