CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Riddick - 18.6M | The Butler - 8.9M | We're the Millers - 7.9M

When I did say, I doubted a sequel to the Smurfs?And Smurfs 2 has made ever less internationally than the first. 

Maybe not you, but there are guys that are doubting the possibility of Smurfs 3.

Smurfs 2 trippled its budget at the boxoffice WW. Not to mention it already almost broke even before release.

Smurfs 3 I imagine will happen but with a reduced budget and moved out of summer, maybe even DTV.

I think a march release would be suitable, that did wonders for The Croods. 

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

Speaking of the British films, I know that Les Mis (which is a British film) made 148 million at the U.S. box office.

Chicken Run (Aardman’s first feature) managed to make 106 million in the U.S., and had amazing legs (it only opened with 17 million). Aardman’s other films haven’t fared as well, though some of them have been marketed terribly (The Pirates comes to mind). 

Wallace and Gromit did decently, it was even made it to number 1 in the US. 

Wallace and Gromit did decently, it was even made it to number 1 in the US. 

It’s not like Sony (or Dreamworks when they had the rights) has anything to lose when they buy the rights to release the Aardman’s movies in the U.S. It probably only cost them 10 million to distribute them.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

I think a march release would be suitable, that did wonders for The Croods. 

September would be fine as its a quiet time and Sony's animated films have been hits in that month, September 2015 has Hotel Transylvania 2 so perhaps MLK weekend 2016?

If they had released Thor: The Dark World in September, I sure more people would have gone to the movies. 

It'll be interesting how The Equalizer does next year, its an action film with Denzel so I'm guessing at least $30m which would put in the top 5 or 6 of September openers.

Edited by Jonwo

It’s not like Sony (or Dreamworks when they had the rights) has anything to lose when they buy the rights to release the Aardman’s movies in the U.S. It probably only cost them 10 million to distribute them.

Sony were involved with Arthur Christmas which was a co-production and that lost money, it was a hit in the UK, same with Pirates! but Aardman are beloved because its a British company.

September would be fine as they're quiet and Sony's animated films have been hits in that month, September 2015 has Hotel Transylvania 2 so perhaps MLK weekend 2016?

It'll be interesting how The Equalizer does next year, its an action film with Denzel so I'm guessing at least $30m which would put in the top 5 or 6 of September openers.

That's probably a good idea, although Smurfs 3 might end up getting cancelled altogether.

As for the Equalizer, I think marketing will play a big part in its success, but an opening weekend over 20 million is pretty much locked. 

Well nothing worthwhile has came out in weeks-the only films I'm hearing anyone seeing are at the dollar theater at this point. (Though a few still interested in Planes and Wolvie, but not a lot)

Sony were involved with Arthur Christmas which was a co-production and that lost money, it was a hit in the UK, same with Pirates! but Aardman are beloved because its a British company.

Well that explains why those films added things that seemed to be trying to appeal to Americans (the UFO storyline in Arthur’s Christmas for example).

I know that Flushed Away (their first CGI feature) lost them a lot of money even though it performed alright in the U.S (its international box office wasn't very good). 

• Like 1

Well that explains why those films added things that seemed to be trying to appeal to Americans (the UFO storyline in Arthur’s Christmas for example).

I know that Flushed Away (their first CGI feature) lost them a lot of money even though it performed alright in the U.S (its international box office wasn't very good). 

Flushed Away was made completely at Dreamworks Animation and the making of that film and Katzenberg's trying to interfere with the production of Wallace and Gromit lead to the split of the two companies. Arthur Christmas had preproduction at Aardman before it was made at Imageworks, Pirates! was made in Bristol although Sony helped with some CG effects like water.

Flushed Away was made completely at Dreamworks Animation and the making of that film and Katzenberg's trying to interfere with the production of Wallace and Gromit lead to the split of the two companies. Arthur Christmas had preproduction at Aardman before it was made at Imageworks, Pirates! was made in Bristol although Sony helped with some CG effects like water.

Huh! Always assumed those movies were basically movies made by and completely funded by the Brits, never realized that the Hollywood studios (like Sony) were actually directly involved with the film themselves.

Flushed Away I actually really enjoyed.

Now stop motion is just a tough sell, and it seems better on the small screen.

Flushed Away wasn't bad at all, although it did seem like they were doing a lot of potty humor (something that really isn't funny).

I even saw it when it first came out on the big screen, and enjoyed then, and I still enjoy it now. 

Flushed Away I actually really enjoyed.

Now stop motion is just a tough sell, and it seems better on the small screen.

Chicken Run and Nightmare before Christmas are probably the highest grossing stop motion films. I'm a fan but I can see why its a tough sell.

Kid friendly movies do very well on DVD and home media. They don't have any problems selling domestic and international TV rights  either at a good price. There are different profitability standards for kids movies and R-rated movies.

Comedies are perhaps the hardest genre to translate for other cultures-everyone is different.

Slapstick comedy is  the best bet for international success but you need a very talented actor with excellent comic timing to make it work