• Beauty and the Beast
    • Aladdin
    • Lion King
    • Pocahontas
    • The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    • Hercules
    • Mulan
    • Tarzan

Hercules has great songs, but the weakest story. The style and tone was way too inconsistent, and Hercules is a fairly bland protagonist.

It's a travesty that Hunchback is so high in the polls, though. Take away the gargoyles, and it might actually be my favorite film of the bunch.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 1

A tie between Hercules and The Hunchback of Notre Dame, I guess. Neither are awful, but definitely fall a bit flat coming so soon after Disney's Renaissance (although I think Mulan is the only one from the second half of the 90s that comes close to approaching the heights of the '89-'94 fantastic four).

I think Frollo is the most messed-up villain to ever be in a G-rated movie. I'll definitely give that to Hunchback.

That was the first time I noticed that the comic relief did not fit into the serious story. Up to The Lion King, it always fit. Pocahontas had a lot of the comic relief cut out during production (the John Candy turkey, and all of Percy the dog's dialogue), so it wasn't as big a problem there. But Hunchback started my awareness of "Oh, this looks like it could be a serious film, Disney's growing up--oh wait, jokey talking comic relief? AGAIN?" I noticed the same thing with Mulan, then Tarzan - this was going be the one that was more grounded, more mature, more serious, then BOOM, Eddie Murphy dragon, Rosie O'Donnell gorilla, sorry Disney, you lost me again. Why can't you be more like those new Pixar people? They're not shoehorning in the same cliches into stories where they don't fit simple because It's The Formula.

As a kid, I thought the Disney Renaissance was going to grow up with us kids that saw TLM-TLK, and some of the films seemed to show that, except that they had shoehorned-in comic relief, which was much more clumsily inserted and jarring than the stuff up to The Lion King. (I had the same reaction to The Prince of Egypt at age 11, it was a good serious movie, except when Steve Martin and Martin Short showed up and took me out of it.)

You wanna know why I didn't see anything after Hunchback? Because except for Hercules, which was a comedy and made it obvious, they all offered the promise of a serious action story for 8-12 year olds like me, and then poisoned the well with their stupid comic relief sidekicks. Atlantis was the first one that seemed to be for kids my age, so was the first one I saw in 5 years, but it turned out to just be a mess.

I later saw Mulan on video and it was good, Mushu didn't ruin it like I feared, and though I never got around to watching it, I'm sure Tarzan is good too (I had no idea that Rosie was only in the early scenes with Tarzan as a kid, the trailers didn't make that clear), but as soon as those characters showed up in the trailers, I just lost interest. Call it what you want, late-90s tween boy cynicism, I dunno, that's just my story.

Edited by TServo2049