• Beauty and the Beast
    • Aladdin
    • Lion King
    • Pocahontas
    • The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    • Hercules
    • Mulan
    • Tarzan

Ok, I see we have graduated from crap to forgettable. :D And lol, Go the Distance was the most personality deprived song from the film despite a great tune by Menken. 

And it was genius on Disney's part to make the Muses sassy black gospel singers and challenge the notions of "inspiring beauty".

Posted Image

No. No it wasn't. The muses cemented their status as crap Disney characters as soon as they shit all over Charlton Heston's epic opening narration. A hint of things to come in that godawful film.

No pun intended.

Edited by Jawa of the Dreadfort

The Disney Renaissance is overrated. Fantasia, Snow White, Pinocchio, Winnie the Pooh, Dumbo, The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad and Alice in Wonderland are all better than all the Disney movies from the 90s except The Lion King. 

Edited by Jack Nevada

The Disney Renaissance is overrated. Fantasia, Snow White, Pinocchio, Winnie the Pooh, Dumbo, The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad and Alice in Wonderland are all better than all the Disney movies from the 90s except The Lion King. 

:huh:  Not that I don't love some of the films you listed but man you be trippin'

• Like 2

This is the truth.

I know I'm going back to old stuff here, but....

That's not true at all though. 

No? I admit I made an exaggerated statement, but I think there's some truth to it.

Hunchback was a serious film with a misguided attempt to add some comedy and kid-friendly aspects through the gargoyles. It had comedic moments that clashed with the rest of the film, and thus stood out like a sore thumb.

But in the case of Mulan, I think the problem of balancing the comedy and serious/dramatic moments was worse. I feel like the whole film is in a battle against itself and has an identity crisis. Does it want to be a comedy? Or does it want to be an dramatic adventure story? It could be both if done right (the recent string of WDAS films--Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen--attest to the fact that a balancing act can be achieved), but I think Mulan was really far from that. The climax was a whole bunch of silly hijinx (cross-dressing, fireworks, Mushu), and the final blow to the personality-deprived villain basically is a gag. It works for something like Emperor's New Groove, where the film is first and foremost a comedy. But a film like Mulan deserved a climax with a more serious tone in the vein of the other Renaissance films.

It also suffers in that, despite only having four songs, two of them are pretty mediocre (Honor to Us All, A Girl Worth Fighting For).

Overall, I do find it a quite entertaining film, and I'd say I love the film. I think I would have loved it more if they played it as an epic drama-adventure.

Edited by celticmoon

None. I don't think any of these films were bad at all. I love them all. From Rescuers Down Under all the way to Tarzan.

But if i had to pick one....it had to be The Little Mermaid. Not a bad film....but nowhere as good as every Disney-fan think it is.

I still love the other films like Pocahontas, Hunchback of Notre Dame & Hercules, Mulan & Tarzan. Especially Hercules,...how can you not love James Woods as Hades?

1083.gif

• Like 1

Definitely not Hunchback, Hercules or Tarzan or Aladdin.

Would've said the Little Mermaid but it was just before.

Haven't seen the rest yet again to decide, but Mulan ranks last from those I've seen.

Lion King is superbly overrated but still better than Mulan.