#ED

10/11 - 10/13 Wknd Est: Gravity - 44.2M; Captain Phillips - 26M; CWCM2 - 14.2M; Machete - 3.7M

Machete Bombs!Didn't expect so low, thought more 7-8m, the Lady Gaga involvement basically brought nothing then. Or it actually deterred people.

Gaga is on her way out, has been for a while. The new single has over 100 million audience impressions at radio but can't break the iTunes Top 5. People aren't interested anymore.

Miley Cyrus has overtaken Lady GaGa this year in terms of media attention and chart success. Not a fan of her gimmicks but they sure made some noise with all of "I'm not Hanna Montana anymore" stuff she's pulling

Edited by forg

Miley Cyrus has overtaken Lady GaGa this year in terms of media attention and chart success. Not a fan of her gimmicks but they sure made some noise with all of "I'm not Hanna Montana anymore" stuff she's pulling

Timberlake is selling all the albums. Miley is yet another pop tart with endless media attention but comparatively poor sales because nobody respects her enough to actually pay for the record.

Miley's very young, she plays to a fanbase that buys singles over albums, though her opening week for Bangerz won't be bad by any stretch. But yes, Gaga has to be wondering how she can recapture the "most outrageous pop star" crown. She spent the night of the VMAs in a g-string and all people could talk about was Miley's performance and they're still debating it six weeks later.

But it's not like Gaga is the star of Machete Kills, isn't she in it like five minutes or something? Even in 2010 her presence wouldn't have enhanced the box office much.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

All the Gaga fans I know were beyond psyched for the film. The nutty among her fan base will lap up any shit she's a part of.

Im sure they were, but say Justin Beeverrr was cast in a 1700's war drama that was 150 minutes long; i doubt many of even the most hardcore Bieber fans will show up. Its out of his "zone". Gaga is odd, but Machete is graphic and off color and that could deter some. Its the same with Katy Perry with Smurfs, Miley in LOL, and Snoop Dogg in Turbo, etc. The audience has to connect with the movie itself first. But im sure Gaga had a few supporters come out. A few. Edited by Twerkdrew

Don't say we didn't warn you!

Man, I'm still all up in my emotions right now. 

Can't wait to see Gravity though. My theater didn't have it IMAX. Captain Phillips had the screens. That seems wrong, lol.

Miley's sales for We Can't Stop and Wrecking Ball are strong and her latest album will open higher than her last album which also was an attempt to have a mature image. Also "twerk"found its way to pop culture. Hate her or love her this is her year. I don't know if she can have a movie career again though,

Edited by forg

Titanic had a ~25% increase. ;)

Titanic didn't open over 50M.  ;)

Just saw Captain Phillips. Tom Hanks >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> your favorite actor. I cried.

That is all.

Good to hear. I'm seeing it tomorrow with my fiance.  :D

• Like 1

Im sure they were, but say Justin Beeverrr was cast in a 1700's war drama that was 150 minutes long; i doubt many of even the most hardcore Bieber fans will show up. Its out of his "zone". Gaga is odd, but Machete is graphic and off color and that could deter some. Its the same with Katy Perry with Smurfs, Miley in LOL, and Snoop Dogg in Turbo, etc. The audience has to connect with the movie itself first. But im sure Gaga had a few supporters come out. A few.

Justin Timberlake has the biggest selling album in the US this year and yet Runner Runner flopped. Britney Spears at her peak flopped with her movie debut. It's a hard feat even for the top pop stars to crossover successfully in the movies. Sure there are cases like J.Lo in the early 2000s but it does not happen that frequently

Seeing a number of sell outs for Gravity tonight in a number of places. The Saturday increase should be substantial. :D

Irvine, CA

Gravity: An IMAX 3D Experience

PG-13, 1 hr 31 min

no passes  accessibility devices available
  • 11:30a
  • 2:00p
  • 4:30p
  • 7:00p
  • 9:30p

Houston-

Gravity: An IMAX 3D Experience

PG-13, 1 hr 31 min