#ED

10/11 - 10/13 Wknd Est: Gravity - 44.2M; Captain Phillips - 26M; CWCM2 - 14.2M; Machete - 3.7M

How long does Gravity keep these Imax screens? As long as there are no 3D movies and Imax movies for a while, then Sky's the limit.

No 3D movies until Free Birds.IMAX theatre owners probably won't want to let it go for a while. Movies with long legs make the theatres the most money.
  • Like 2

Show me one movie opening to over 55m, dropping 20% second weekend without the help of a holiday, that did not develop amazing legs? It would have to start dropping pretty hard now, but why would it? I mean it survived like it did against direct competition by Captain Phillips. "Gravity" can officially be considerd as untouchable, just like Avatar.

If it drops by 30% from now on, it's at 260m, coming from a $10m weekend. It would be a very crazy run after that second weekend to not pass 300m.

Show me one movie opening to over 55m, dropping 20% second weekend without the help of a holiday, that did not develop amazing legs? It would have to start dropping pretty hard now, but why would it? I mean it survived like it did against direct competition by Captain Phillips. "Gravity" can officially be considerd as untouchable, just like Avatar.

If it drops by 30% from now on, it's at 260m, coming from a $10m weekend. It would be a very crazy run after that second weekend to not pass 300m.

This is some canadian holiday and another one I don't know about. 

• Founder / Operator

Don't get me wrong, Thor is still going to be a big success because it appeals to younger audiences.

But by the same token, Gravity's buzz can't be matched at the moment and that's not likely to change. If it's still making bank in November, you can bet theater owners will favor giving it as many showtimes over anything else as much as they possibly (legally) can. This is the "water cooler moment" movie that Avatar and Inception were during their time--it's not going to slow down significantly for anything.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1