Neo

Captain Underpants | June 2, 2017

6 minutes ago, UNDERDOG said:

I think, for the first time in the DCEU, WW can be that movie for the family market. 

Especially with moms. They'll probably decide to take their kids to see WW instead of CU because of moral lessons, especially if they have daughters.

Even if it was a Marvel movie, CU would be enough to stop $150M OW from happening, since families are going to jump to the more kid friendly option. Remember WW is tracking the most at males over 25 too. 

• Like 2

Not saying we should automatically expect over $150M for CU, but we've (most of us) have underestimated DWA films domestically these past few years even the ones with bad and/or little to no marketing. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Even if it was a Marvel movie, CU would be enough to stop $150M OW from happening, since families are going to jump to the more kid friendly option. Remember WW is tracking the most at males over 25 too. 

Well tbh, I never expected 150 million OW, and CU definitely can take a chunk of WW's money but..

I don't think everyone is aware the CU movie exists at all. An animated movie can do wonders with little marketing, but I don't even think there is enough marketing to even call it "little" yet for CU.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I still don't think it'll do $50m OW, I think matching Peanuts and Trolls would be the highest it'll go and both had much more marketing from Fox so I wouldn't be surprised if it fails to crack $40m

Not saying it will, the OW range is likely $30M-$45M for CU, with an outside shot at $50M+ if they ramp up marketing these next few weeks and it gets good reviews. Compared to Coco, Ninjago, Emoji, and Ferdinand, this has been getting better views. One clip got over 6.5M views.

• Like 1

This movie seriously probably would have seriously made 50m this weekend. Guardians probably would have taken a bigger drop and alien probably wouldn't have seen much of a difference. This will probably end up with a 35m weekend where it is now

Edited by cheesypoofs
  • Like 1

This movie feels really "late". I remember my best friend in elementary school reading these fifteen years ago. I had completely forgotten about it's existence until these past few weeks. Also, some parents might be turned off by the potty humor, so it won't have the family friendly legs that most animated films seem to have.

Just now, cheesypoofs said:

Eh, a lot of kids movies these days have potty humor. In this case it's being true to the source material

True, but with this, it's right there in your face. That might turn off some of the more conservative audience members out there.

9 minutes ago, cheesypoofs said:

This movie seriously probably would have seriously made 50m this weekend. Guardians probably would have taken a bigger drop and alien probably wouldn't have seen much of a difference. This will probably end up with a 35m weekend where it is now

I still think it'll do fine against Wonder Woman. Remember Trolls and Peanuts did $45M+ OW, against Doctor Strange and Spectre.

• Like 1

They've got TV spots, yeah, i've seen them. Mostly on Nick.

But i'm surprised to have never seen a property tie-in. Unless they premiere at a festival they're not going to have early official embargo breaking two weeks before, that's just not how animated movies work*. I get it. I can't attest for standees, billboards, or advertising because of a combination of not going to theaters lately, living in bumfuck nowhere where our billboards are about guns, and having ublock.

Coming out at the end of the deal where Fox just doesn't have to care anymore was just bad luck.

*I'm counting on one of you to prove me wrong here.

9 minutes ago, slambros said:

I saw an ad for this while watching The Voice on NBC last night.

Also saw two ads for it while watching Family Guy on Fox Sunday.

• Like 2

If you were growing up between the late 90s and early 00s, there was a high likely chance you’ve come across Captain Underpants. It was the biggest phenomenon long before Diary of a Wimpy Kid ever existed. That was the go-to book for every elementary schooler who wanted to read something absurd. Twenty years after the release of The First Epic Novel and 11 more that proceeded afterward, it was inevitable to adapt the books into a feature-length animated film. Ever since its announcement, I was thoroughly pumped to watch this. Between this and Wonder Woman I was more eager to see this.

Here's my review of Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie

https://rendyreviews.com/movies//captain-underpants-the-first-epic-movie-review

• Like 1

At this point I think it's safe to say this is going to be a sure-fire bomb. Wonder Woman overall has much more hype, and now that its likely going to fall in the 85-95% range on RT it's just going to build even more hype. It will be the go-to film this weekend. Nobody appears to be all that excited for CU or even aware of its existence, except extremely die-hard fans of the novels. Fox could've played up the nostalgia factor, or hell, could've done literally anything with this, and did nothing.

Final predictions:

OW: $17.5 million

DOM: $55 million

WW: $95 million