Neo

Captain Underpants | June 2, 2017

This franchise was popular when I was young, but not like Jurassic World or BatB where it captured the zeitgeist. It was popular but not really lasting.

I think this will perform more like Goosebumps. Summer Game I put 90m, I can see it barely going over 100m. 90-105m.

29 minutes ago, franfar said:

This franchise was popular when I was young, but not like Jurassic World or BatB where it captured the zeitgeist. It was popular but not really lasting.

I think this will perform more like Goosebumps. Summer Game I put 90m, I can see it barely going over 100m. 90-105m.

That is unthinkable for the first animated film of the summer. 

1 hour ago, Chaz said:

That is unthinkable for the first animated film of the summer. 

Not really. Angry Birds was the first animated movie of last summer, and it just made around 105M. I've seen a lot less marketing for this movie, not to mention I think more kids know about Angry Birds than Captain Underpants anyway. I'm expecting something around Ice Age 5 or Storks numbers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Negative Panda Covfefe said:

This is getting good reviews? :kitschjob:

I'm glad its getting good reviews, I was starting to worry a bit when the review embargo was announced for Thursday, since it made it appear that Fox had no confidence in the film. 

It's Captain Underpants though, so "tra-la-la!"

I'm surprised that it's taking so long for more critic reviews to come in on RT. Surely people are more excited for WW but wow.

This was a surprising delight, I genuinely hope it does well enough to get a sequel.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2017 at 7:43 PM, Blipsy said:

Not really. Angry Birds was the first animated movie of last summer, and it just made around 105M. I've seen a lot less marketing for this movie, not to mention I think more kids know about Angry Birds than Captain Underpants anyway. I'm expecting something around Ice Age 5 or Storks numbers.

Welp. You called this one!

• Like 1

On 6/1/2017 at 5:43 PM, Blipsy said:

Hey i know you were comparing this to Storks, but what about Storks?  Do you think this could open around Storks also??

Am I the only one here who saw it? It's seriously a really irreverent and hilarious little film. Probably the hidden gem of the 2017 summer movie season much like Popstar was last year. Shame it didn't do that hot (seriously against Wonder Woman? bad move)... but luckily it cost only $38 mil to produce.