Neo

Captain Underpants | June 2, 2017

6 minutes ago, cmbbox2390 said:

I am even more confident that my domestic prediction will come true. I have this at $336m. This will surprise like Secret Life of Pets and kids will love this.

If this happened I would be so happy since I loved the books as a kid, however opening the same day as Wonder Woman and dealing with Cars 3 and DM3 the following weekends (16th and 30th) with marketing literally just starting CU has no chance at $300M+ domestic. However I'd say $70M domestic is the floor and $200M is the ceiling due to nostalgia and trailer views so far, gaining 1M trailer views from Dreamworks Channel.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, YourMother said:

If this happened I would be so happy since I loved the books as a kid, however opening the same day as Wonder Woman and dealing with Cars 3 and DM3 the following weekends (16th and 30th) with marketing literally just starting CU has no chance at $300M+ domestic. However I'd say $70M domestic is the floor and $200M is the ceiling due to nostalgia and trailer views so far, gaining 1M trailer views from Dreamworks Channel.

Yeah you have some points, but I don't think Cars 3 will increase from the last movie because of the unfavorable reviews. Despicable Me 3 will hurt it some but I think CU will have the benefit that it's something new that kids and adults seem to be excited for. I stick to guns with my prediction though. We'll see!

• Like 1

Just now, cmbbox2390 said:

Yeah you have some points, but I don't think Cars 3 will increase from the last movie because of the unfavorable reviews. Despicable Me 3 will hurt it some but I think CU will have the benefit that it's something new that kids and adults seem to be excited for. I stick to guns with my prediction though. We'll see!

Pixar and Illumination are both bigger names than Dreamworks in the animation game, however people tend to underestimate Dreamworks lately.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

My inner 7 year old is rather hyped

Same.

1 minute ago, cmbbox2390 said:

Yeah, that's what most people said about Secret Life of Pets too. We will see.

But unlike Illumination the only movies Dreamworks had the did over $300M at the box office was Shrek 2 and 4. Even then it's highest grossing original was KFP1 which didn't do over $250M domestic.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cmbbox2390 said:

Yeah, that's what most people said about Secret Life of Pets too. We will see.

Pets had a year long marketing campaign and a simple but appealing concept.

Captain Undepants would need to do $90-100m OW to get to $300m which isnt going to happen, not with Wonder Woman on the same day and a trailer that's just come out only 2 and a half months before it's released 

Do you have to be born after 1995 to understand what this is? Just as this forum fails to understand the influence of the many generations that exist prior to AOL, and thus under predicts for old-men movies, I think there's quite a bit of overestimation for this. However, I must admit my bias because I have never ever heard of Captain Underpants! I'm willing to buy a ticket and give this as much chance as Power Rangers.

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Fun fact: CU (1.3M, 2nd on trending) has had more views than Baywatch (300 something K, 4th on trending) on YouTube 

Somewhere in the world, people with jobs are going to work and sleeping instead of watching Youtube. Then, in May, they'll spend their hard earned money on the movie based on Pamela Anderson's assets back in the 90s. I'm not sure they'll be doing the same for CU...Again, this is my old-man bias. People think this will make more than Kong? This is culture shock for me...

• Like 3