Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

3 hours ago, Newbie said:

On the issue of various mirror situations or dialogue fragments between Kirk and Spock, that also didn't bother me.  Back during TNG's television run, there was a website that run an S.O.S. ranking were fans could rate episodes on a 1 - 10 scale.  The episodes Cause and Effect (5th season) and Parallels (7th season) both ranked extremely well 8th and 13th (On IMDB it's 7th and 10th so both back in the day and by current ranking systems) out of 178 episodes off TNG, and both showed various changes to the timeline and part of the enjoyment of those episodes was seeing how changes in the timeline could have that same type of mirroring of dialogue and plot switched between characters.  Heck there is even some elements of this in TNG's final episode All Good Things (which is another very well received episode).  So if I could enjoy it (on television where I think Trek generally can hit higher highs), I couldn't rationally dislike it being done in thee film.

For me, there's a big difference between showing changes within timelines as a way of directing informing the plot (BTTF2) and basically playing with homages to the point of distraction. This was a crucial dramatic and emotional moment in STID: the more self-referential and winky it got, the less dramatic it got. If you're familiar with TWOK, you're no longer engaged in the scene as a dramatic moment where one character is sacrificing the other, you're doing an impromptu compare and contrast between the two movies, basically guessing who will say what line and so forth. One line? Sure, maybe that works fine. But it was the whole scene. And in the context of STID, it was pointless. Nothing was gained by these creative choices.

I think it's arguably the worst scene of Abrams' movie career.

• Like 1

And because it wouldn't be a thread without this

1. Wrath of Khan

2. Star Trek 09

3. Undiscovered Country

4. Voyage Home

5. Search for Spock

6.  First Contact

7. Into Darkness

8. Generations

9. Insurrection

10. The Final Frontier

11. The Motion Picture

12. Nemesis

1-4 I love.  5-7 I like.  Meh on 8.  And really dislike 9-12

• Like 1

Visually, STID was breathtaking.

One of the most beautiful space movie with great cinematography and set pieces.

Technically it s the most accomplished JJ s work.

Force Awakens looked tame in comparison.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Visually, STID was breathtaking.

One of the most beautiful space movie with great ciiematography and set pieces.

Technically it s the most accomplished JJ s work.

Force Awakens looked tame in comparison.

Not gonna lie - this. Was beautiful in 70mm IMAX.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RandomJC said:

Confession: I've never been able to sit through all of the Motion Picture. And never even attempted Final Frontier.

I'm a bad fine.

I think with the right mindset, you can enjoy TMP. You've just got to be willing to accept a thin plot, and let the leisurely visuals and Jerry Goldsmith's score wash over you.

FF is really bad, though. Not much to recommend about it at all. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I think with the right mindset, you can enjoy TMP. You've just got to be willing to accept a thin plot, and let the leisurely visuals and Jerry Goldsmith's score wash over you.

I'll have to at some point watch both, much like I'll have to just drive through the rest of Voyager and Enterprise...

Or just be a casual fan and not care enough to see everything.

9 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I'm amazed how overbudget Star Trek TMP went, $46m in 1979 was probably the equivalent of $250m today, only Superman was higher. It's likely why Star Trek never got a high budget until the reboot. 

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm amazed how overbudget Star Trek TMP went, $46m in 1979 was probably the equivalent of $250m today, only Superman was higher. It's likely why Star Trek never got a high budget until the reboot. 

Studios were all after Star Wars money ...

• Like 1