Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

49 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

It feels like every big movie coming out these days is light and breezy. Nothing wrong with light and breezy, I guess that's how summer movies are supposed to be. I just wish there was more variety. Like, Jason Bourne is the only movie I am kind of looking forward to this summer.

Yeah. I don't deny this and wouldn't mind more variety. But, I do feel, given this is followup to Into Darkness, it suits this Trek sequel to be just that. Now, the next installment, should delve a bit deeper and try a bit harder to do more than simply entertain on the surface.

52 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Fact is, there's movie out there for everyone you just have to drive to the theater to find them. Stop living in your cellphone and find the right one for you.

First you say "Big movies in the summer are going to be fun, breezy, action films" and now it's "there's movie out there for everyone you just have to drive to the theater to find them". So...which one is it?

59 minutes ago, Goffe said:

there was JJ and his insane ability to make us care :redcapes:

Insane ability to make us care if you have Abrams on a pedestal. It's all about Abrams to you, huh? Can't say anything negative about Abrams?

Edited by Jay Beezy

The first two-thirds of Into Darkness are actually pretty damn good, even upon several rewatches. Everything goes downhill after Khan kills Peter Weller, and yikes. The movie turns into a shitty, unoriginal, and frankly boring remake in the third act. There's a version of that movie that's really great all-around, but that third act is pretty horrid on every level, from the Wrath of Khan references to the silly chase scene to the stupid magic blood plotline. I'll still watch the first two acts pretty happily.

And look, opinions change. I gave STID a great review in the RTM after I came home from a midnight show and was hyped up. But after rewatching it again in theaters and twice at home, I realized the third act has fatal flaws. It's not a sin to change your opinion on a movie. People were hyped to see it, and it got generally good reviews because it was generally a good movie. That doesn't mean people can't look back three years later and muse on what could have been a great movie. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

The first two-thirds of Into Darkness are actually pretty damn good, even upon several rewatches. Everything goes downhill after Khan kills Peter Weller, and yikes. The movie turns into a shitty, unoriginal, and frankly boring remake in the third act. There's a version of that movie that's really great all-around, but that third act is pretty horrid on every level, from the Wrath of Khan references to the silly chase scene to the stupid magic blood plotline. I'll still watch the first two acts pretty happily.

And look, opinions change. I gave STID a great review in the RTM after I came home from a midnight show and was hyped up. But after rewatching it again in theaters and twice at home, I realized the third act has fatal flaws. It's not a sin to change your opinion on a movie. People were hyped to see it, and it got generally good reviews because it was generally a good movie. That doesn't mean people can't look back three years later and muse on what could have been a great movie. 

It was precisely the moment sitting in the theater that I realized they were doing a straight-up version of one of the more iconic endings in sci-fi history that I knew the movie was lost (to me anyway).  It had become unintentional parody, capped off by Spock's ridiculous scream.  

And, still, despite all that, if they had done it with conviction, and actually killed off Kirk, it might have worked.  (They could have made 3 "The Search for Kirk" or done a Mirror Universe film -- imagine Captain of the Enterprise Spock vs. Mirror Captain Kirk -- if they really felt they needed to bring Pine back right away, anything but magic blood completely gutting any drama you were trying to muster.)

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I read some people try to defend STID over ST09 because STID had "ideas". What good is that defense if the story and plot can't flesh them out enough?

The homages to Wrath of Khan might not have looked so bad if the story was more fleshed out. And also if they had the balls to keep Kirk dead at the end of it.

Edited by Jay Beezy

31 minutes ago, The47th said:

First you say "Big movies in the summer are going to be fun, breezy, action films" and now it's "there's movie out there for everyone you just have to drive to the theater to find them". So...which one is it?

Both. Get lost! I destroyed your argument.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

well I disagree, so let's leave it at that. I wouldn't be so compelled to defend STiD if there wasn't. 

If you're so compelled to defend STID, why don't you enlighten us and tell us what more there was to STID than being just fanboy fapping material?

37 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Insane ability to make us care if you have Abrams on a pedestal. It's all about Abrams to you, huh? Can't say anything negative about Abrams?

actually, I don't put Abrams on a pedestal, have you read my opinion on TFA? I wasn't that enthusiastic about Super 8 either. 

anyway, keep on with the strawmanning...