Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

7 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Enjoyed it but it's completely disposable. Those saying it's like an extended tv episode are pretty much on the mark 

You could say that about pretty much any of the movies though. Its part of why I actually like Insurrection, its a Next Gen episode really, a longer one with better production values, and thats a good thing.

5 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Walker ?

Korzneioswki ?

Ahh, Goldmsith, adore him, one of my fave too.

Goldsmith is so underrated, I always felt he deserved a better career and better movies (I know, he had plenty of good ones but still), he never really had a relationship with an A-List filmmaker and I think his Oscar for The Omen kinda pigeonholed him in the horror/fantasy/action genre.

His career is so big though, encompassing decades ...

Sorry to bother you again, but would you care to do your Goldsmith Top Ten ? Or mention some of his obscure scores you love that I could check out ?

Do you have nice words to say about Hans Z and the Media Venture Army which changed the soundtrack landscape for ever ? Hum ...

I was always stunned to learn that Danny Elfman has no formal training, his scores are so lush, detailed and majestic sometimes ...

Goldsmith did have great working relationships with Franklin Schaffner (who probably helped provide some of his greatest scores from a technical standpoint), and Joe Dante, who he did his greatest comedy scores with, thankfully.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

You could say that about pretty much any of the movies though. Its part of why I actually like Insurrection, its a Next Gen episode really, a longer one with better production values, and thats a good thing.

I wouldn't say that is quite true.  I think the reason II-IV are thought so highly of (less III, but still), is that they are serialized and form a nice arc that moves both the characters and the story forward.

Both of these ST09 sequels have been very episodic.  You could go right from ST09 into Beyond (skipping Into Darkness) and I don't think there's a single thing you would need to know from STID.  I don't think it gets even one reference or acknowledgement that it exists.  

1 minute ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

I wouldn't say that is quite true.  I think the reason II-IV are thought so highly of (less III, but still), is that they are serialized and form a nice arc that moves both the characters and the story forward.

Both of these ST09 sequels have been very episodic.  You could go right from ST09 into Beyond (skipping Into Darkness) and I don't think there's a single thing you would need to know from STID.  I don't think it gets even one reference or acknowledgement that it exists.  

Thats what makes 2-4 just like episodes. Star trek had arcs, and it had stand alones. To be honest i can think of any TV series movie that couldn't just be an episode of the series.

3 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Thats what makes 2-4 just like episodes. Star trek had arcs, and it had stand alones. To be honest i can think of any TV series movie that couldn't just be an episode of the series.

Unless you're talking about DS9 and late Enteprise, Star Trek has been pretty much entirely episodic throughout its history, episodic meaning one-and-done, with no story elements carrying over into the next week (so that viewers could watch episodes out of order without needing to know anything).  

II-IV are the opposite of that, much more serialized, with one leading right into the next.  

Just now, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

II-IV are the opposite of that, much more serialized, with one leading right into the next.  

True, although they also do a solid-enough job of being self-contained (both in terms of what a viewer needs to know to enjoy them, and how they wrap up each story). In fact, the title of each is basically a handy summation of the story each tells.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:04 PM, DAR said:

And because it wouldn't be a thread without this

1. Wrath of Khan

2. Star Trek 09

3. Undiscovered Country

4. Voyage Home

5. Search for Spock

6.  First Contact

7. Into Darkness

8. Generations

9. Insurrection

10. The Final Frontier

11. The Motion Picture

12. Nemesis

1-4 I love.  5-7 I like.  Meh on 8.  And really dislike 9-12

Posting my list from  few weeks ago.

YAY RANKINGS

1. Wrath of Khan
2. Undiscovered Country
3. Voyage Home

4. Star Trek 09
5. Search for Spock
6. First Contact

7. Beyond

8. Into Darkness

9. The Motion Picture
10. Generations

11. The Final Frontier
Can't remember enough about INSURRECTION and NEMESIS to properly rank them, though they and TFF would fill out the bottom three.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

YAY RANKINGS

1. Wrath of Khan
2. Undiscovered Country
3. Voyage Home

4. Star Trek 09
5. Search for Spock
6. First Contact

7. Beyond

8. Into Darkness

9. The Motion Picture
10. Generations

11. The Final Frontier
Can't remember enough about INSURRECTION and NEMESIS to properly rank them, though they and TFF would fill out the bottom three.

Tele, your Tom Hardy Fan Card has just been :

REVOKED !

:angry:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GirafficPark said:

Now ive seen it im quite happy, it is SO much better than ID, which, I thought was just really badly written and had a lot more than its share of the laziness Abrams sometimes has in his directing.

I blame the writing more than Abrams directing. There was Lindelof along with Orci/Kurtzman.

Beyond was right to keep things simple, but he next outing should add more sophistication, considering its probable time travel element, but not the multi-plot story of STID.

Wouldn't mind Lin coming back.

3 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

TNG as a TV show was superior to TOS...the movies was vice versa though...

Ofcourse TOS had it's stinkers too...

I always got the sense that you needed to be versed in the TNG series to appreciate the corresponding movies, with the exception of Nemesis which no one could appreciate in any capacity.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

The average quality of TNG movies are clearly a step below TOS/JJ ones.

Except for First Contact they're pretty dire.  The cast of characters was so dry and bloodless that unless the movie is really good they're not fun to watch.  I'd rather watch Final Frontier than any of the others.

While the TNG series is lauded it also left me mostly cold.  Give me TOS and DS9 or even Voyager any day. 

• Like 2