CaptainJackSparrow

Godzilla OS, Huge debut, drops like a stone afterwards.

But in 1998 There was a lot less movies. One or two tentpoles in summer.Now There is one tentpoles almost every week in summer.

Yeah, tentpoles didn't even exist then. Give me a fucking break.These days the OS markets are much bigger, especially China, compared to 10 years ago, let alone 15 or 20. Overall market expansion more than makes up for a more busy slate.It's simple - the movie failed to deliver fucking Godzilla. The marketing was misleading, thus huge opening, bad legs and disappointed moviegoers.
  • Like 1

Yeah, tentpoles didn't even exist then. Give me a fucking break.These days the OS markets are much bigger, especially China, compared to 10 years ago, let alone 15 or 20. Overall market expansion more than makes up for a more busy slate.It's simple - the movie failed to deliver fucking Godzilla. The marketing was misleading, thus huge opening, bad legs and disappointed moviegoers.

I think they were in a bit of a dilemma with Godzilla. If they would have shown the "real" movie (Bryan Cranston being gone after 30 minutes, ATJ as the lead and more Godzilla) the movie probably would have had a smaller opening but better legs. In the end it probably would have made about the same anyway, give or take $10-15 million.

• Like 1

$477,315,000 worldwide for Godzilla. I think $500M is looking very likely now. It'll make $10M more in China so it would need another $13M from the rest of the U.S. run and Japan. I'd say it's almost a lock at this point.

Edited by Bishop54
  • Like 1

I personally like Godzilla a lot but.....many if not majority wer disappointed.....its was hyped a lot.....

I think that's the problem. Many people who saw the trailers expected a masterpiece, which IMO it's not (though I really liked it). It probably also didn't help that it came out in a summer which has been full of pretty good to great blockbusters.

• Like 1

Drops like a stone? Do we really need to perpetuate false beliefs about gravity? A stone falls no faster than any other object (okay, in a vacuum).

It's not a false belief, it is an observable reality. The average person is never going to see anything drop in a vacuum, so there is no reason to build your expressions around that specific situation.