grim22

Weekend Estimates: Thor TDW 86.1M, Ender 10.25, Free Birds 11.2, Grav 8.4, BG 11.3, Last Vegas 11.1

Apart from the obvious showdowns Mojo will have up for Thor's numbers (Thor 1, Iron man 2 and 3), with a 29-32 Friday what other showdowns would you recommend?(And having just accused Mojo of having obvious showdowns, their Gravity vs. WALL-E one has me a bit baffled: human vs. robot; present vs. future; adult live-action vs. cartoon... is it really because WALL-E went flying about in space on a fire extinguisher?)

Fast Five could be interesting.

Been side tracked I was going to go with for now 29-31.5, seeing how evening plays out seems quite strong, saw BG has it currently 30m

How much upside are you seeing with the evening shows? Thanks for the number, btw

Thor will not take this standing down. Thor does not support the idea that he be second bananas to a cyborg that he can take down in a few hits.

I get the anger of  the whole 'depowering Thor so Tony looks better' ... it sucks.

BUT ... 175/410 is certainly alpha male compared to 80/200+ that Thor & CA will get.

Iron Man isn't a cyborg, but a man in an Iron suit. ;)

I remember reading an article that made a very convincing point as to why Tony / Iron Man is technically a cyborg.

The only reason he is actually alive is because of a piece of technology.

Edited by Fancyarcher

People talk as though Iron Man was always a top-tier comics character, up there with Spider-man and Superman, but he never was.Has it ever really been worked out why Iron Man exploded as a movie character in the first place?It's also a bit unfortunate that no other second-tier character has had the same breakout success. All thanks to RDJ? Intelligent Hulk (grey then green) was my favourite Avengers-related comic book character. I think the reason Hulk doesn't work in a solo movie is because they make him dumb. So many more possibilities with a smart, articulate (and slightly nasty) Hulk.

• Like 1

People talk as though Iron Man was always a top-tier comics character, up there with Spider-man and Superman, but he never was.Has it ever really been worked out why Iron Man exploded as a movie character in the first place?It's also a bit unfortunate that no other second-tier character has had the same breakout success. All thanks to RDJ? Intelligent Hulk (grey then green) was my favourite Avengers-related comic book character. I think the reason Hulk doesn't work in a solo movie is because they make him dumb. So many more possibilities with a smart, articulate (and slightly nasty) Hulk.

It's only because of Robert Downey Jr and his charisma in the role.  I can't think of another reason it would become this uber comic hit character.

The real test will be the person who goes after him, because they will have HUGE shoes to fill.

Edited by Adam

I get the anger of  the whole 'depowering Thor so Tony looks better' ... it sucks.

BUT ... 175/410 is certainly alpha male compared to 80/200+ that Thor & CA will get.

Yes, you can promote the avengers with Iron Man front and center, that doesn't mean you have to make the entire movie about him.

Besides Captain America did more in the film than Iron Man.

Iron Man may have not been a hugely successful character prior to RDJ playing him, but he did have a few cartoons and a best selling comic (not that, that actually means something).

Yes, you can promote the avengers with Iron Man front and center, that doesn't mean you have to make the entire movie about him.

Besides Captain America did more in the film than Iron Man.

I'm kind of sick of Iron Man at this point ... so you're preaching to the choir.  But they promote the character who sells ... same reason that Batman will be so front in center when Batman vs. Superman comes out.  He's #1.

Edited by Adam

Thor 2 will do very good OS numbers, way better than CA2. That's why it got November release instead of April like CA2.

• Like 1

I'm sick of Iron Man ... so you're preaching to the choir.  But they promote the character who sells ... same reason that Batman will be so front in center when Batman vs. Superman comes out.  He's #1.

I get it, doesn't mean I support the idea.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1