grim22

Weekend Estimates: Thor TDW 86.1M, Ender 10.25, Free Birds 11.2, Grav 8.4, BG 11.3, Last Vegas 11.1

Well I am obviously using my hunch here. I think the THE AVENGERS effect really benefited IRON MAN lll, but it also waned along with it judging by the film's legs. IRON MAN lll affected THOR: TDW imo. Maybe some people think the solo films just look generic and don't offer anything new. Speaking of new, I think GOTG could do really well. Not expecting "gigantic" numbers though.

Like Tele said though ... IM3 was probably a 15 million (maybe as much as 20) increase OW from Iron Man 2 if you remove 3D.  Not HUGE bump ... no different than the bump this seems to have gotten.

Edited by Adam

Maybe "Dat AVENGERS effort" for IM3 was really more of "dat 3D Boost effect".

I think Avengers effect definitely helps more overseas. It helped domestically as well for Iron Man 3 but I think domestically at least and maybe a few other countries it is waning (though not dead yet) . Iron Man 3 was not as good as The Avengers (this is the only place where I have seen people say IM3 was as good or better than The Avengers) so audiences now realize the solo films are nothing really special and a step down from The Avengers IMO so they are no longer "must see" movies

Edited by John Marston

I just don't think Thor is an interesting character on his own. It only worked in the first film because he'd never been on screen before and because Thor interacting with the human world is an intriguing fish-out-of-water scenario.

As if it matters:

More Friday Box Office: 'Thor 2' received an A- Cinemascore (A+ under 18) from audiences. Should give it a solid Saturday.

That's solid. Just like its performance thus far.

As if it matters:

More Friday Box Office: 'Thor 2' received an A- Cinemascore (A+ under 18) from audiences. Should give it a solid Saturday.

Unless it's A+ it really doesn't mean anything. Don't they poll only about 4 theaters? 

Actually I'm starting to think Cinemascore doesn't mean anything period with the sample size that they use. 

Edited by Magic
  • Like 1