grim22

Weekend Estimates: Thor TDW 86.1M, Ender 10.25, Free Birds 11.2, Grav 8.4, BG 11.3, Last Vegas 11.1

• Founder / Operator

It has nowhere to go but down. Regardless of quality.

I generally agree, although I can't bring myself to say there's not a slight shred of possibility to hit $600-630m again. I kinda feel the same about Catching Fire right now.

But, Avatar 2 is the biggest candidate for a decline. Not knocking it, but it has the hardest standard to follow of any franchise right now. 

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

I generally agree, although I can't bring myself to say there's not a slight shred of possibility to hit $600-630m again. I kinda feel the same about Catching Fire right now.

But, Avatar 2 is the biggest candidate for a decline. Not knocking it, but it has the hardest standard to follow of any franchise right now. 

I go back to The Empire Strikes Back and The Godfather Part II. Universal acclaim, "Better than the original!" proclamations (debatable on the latter) and massive business. But still a considerable decline. Just by the sheer hugeness of the first films and how large a role they played in the zeitgeist. Once you hit that, it can't be replicated.

It "helps" how they're waiting too long for the Avatar sequel.

• Like 5

I go back to The Empire Strikes Back and The Godfather Part II. Universal acclaim, "Better than the original!" proclamations (debatable on the latter) and massive business. But still a considerable decline. Just by the sheer hugeness of the first films and how large a role they played in the zeitgeist. Once you hit that, it can't be replicated.

I agree. History shows that you can only be a phenomenon once.

• Like 1

I think Avengers 2 can make up to 530-550, but it's tough to match that epic high point.  TDKR was supposed to challenge TDK or more ... it was the talk all over the box office sites ... and (regardless of the shooting) fell from 533 in 2008 (nearly 600 million adjusted) to 450. 

You can only have '1' first full team event ...

Edited by Adam

Didn't a lot of critics dislike TESB in its original release? I'm sure audiences liked it because you don't make $200m in 1980 without that, but the acclaim wasn't universal. It certainly wasn't considered better than ANH.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Shawn, I didn't mean no offence with that Gestapo line. I was just exaggerating for effect. :)

No worries. I only asked because I thought you were trying to change your name and the system wouldn't let you or something. :)

I agree. History shows that you can only be a phenomenon once.

Exactly. The lone exception being Star Wars (TPM).