Films

Weekend estimates:Thor 2 $38.4m, TBMH $30.6m

why do you think that is?

Because everyone's looking to hit a home run, and they either want something that can gross a billion worldwide and start a franchise or they don't want to put any money in it. The only way these small/mid-budget films tend to get made is either a financier who's passionate about filmmaking (hello, Megan Ellison!) or bits-and-pieces scraped together from a variety of financiers.

• Like 2

why do you think that is?

I think one main reason is that mid-budget movies are not ones which play globally. So almost all of their profit has to be generated in the US alone. And they are probably rom-coms or similar which don't lend themselves to franchising, so they are only a one-time profit maker.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

I think one main reason is that mid-budget movies are not ones which play globally. So almost all of their profit has to be generated in the US alone. And they are probably rom-coms or similar which don't lend themselves to franchising, so they are only a one-time profit maker.

That makes alot of sense. Still studios arent losing any money by making these mid-budget films. More risk is involved with potential franchise starters or sequels. So i dont see why there shouldnt be more balance in the market, it's clear there is a place and audience for these films.

Edited by babz06

That makes alot of sense. Still studios arent losing any money by making these mid-budget films. More risk is involved with potential franchise starters or sequels. So i dont see why there shouldnt be more balance in the market, it's clear there is a place and audience for these films.

You're thinking logically, which is something that tends not to happen in Hollywood. :lol:

• Like 3

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-best-man-holiday-656588

Box Office: 'Best Man Holiday' Surges Friday, Could Cross $33 Million The African-American comedy could come much closer to "Thor: The Dark World" than expected.

Malcolm D. Lee's sequel The Best Man Holiday -- opening nearly 15 years after the first film -- could approach or cross $33 million in its North American debut, vastly exceeding expectations.

The Universal comedy is pacing to gross $13 million or more on Friday, possibly eclipsing Thor: The Dark World for the day, although Thor 2 is still tipped to stay at No. 1 in its second weekend with a gross north of $37 million.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2

I think the success of TBMH just goes to show you how undeserved the AA community is in hollywood. 

Yep.  Once or twice a year people are shocked when a film targeting the urban demo over performs.  I think Madea's Christmas is going to be huge.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 1

Very happy for "The Best Man Holiday" as I saw the original in 99 during my freshmen year of college.  I'm going to keep it real, the original is a Classic in the Black Community.  What does that exactly mean? it has a huge cult following.  The film was produced by Spike Lee and is directed by one of his cousin's in Malcom D Lee.  

The cast is filled with some of Hollywood's most underrated actors who have been making films all this time in the 14 year wait for the sequel.  Just as "Think like a Man" surprised, it seems TBMH is going to do pretty good.  The 1st film was made on a 9 Million budget and did about 33 Miillion.  This one was done on a about 17 million which is kinda inline with inflation and will make more than that OW.   "Thor 2" is headed for a bigger drop than expected but still going to have a nice 2nd weekend.  Again I'm happy for TBMH and all the actors involved.  It's also a very worth sequel.  

• Like 2