Dementeleus

Nov 22-24 #s CF: $158,074,286 actual | Dark Knight triumphant after all

How's it compare to yesterday?  And thanks for the updates :P actual discussion about the movie is hard to find in the last few dozen pages.

That's good and we will better than yesterday if the sell outs continue through the evening. Those sell outs are for matinees which were non existent yesterday.

• Like 2

that 70m number does seem suspect. Though it is possible LionsGate added the money themselves

Right, reminds me of the initial daily tinkering Warners did on MoS is all I'm saying. They shifted things to get to that 70M or it's overestimated like last weeks numbers on the films. 

But I don't understand why they used Azog instead of Bolg, Azog's son who takes over after Dain killed Azog in the Moira battle waged in retaliation for Azog murdering Thror (this is all the LOTR Appendices canon, not the movie version).

It'd have been thematically/storywise better if Azog had killed Thror, then Thorin had killed Azog, so now Bolg wants to kill Thorin as an example of an endless cycle of hate and revenge between races.

Edited by 4815162342

But I don't understand why they used Azog instead of Bolg, Azog's son who takes over after Dain killed Azog in the Moira battle waged in retaliation for Azog murdering Thror (this is all the LOTR Appendices canon, not the movie version).

It'd have been thematically/storywise better if Azog had killed Thror, then Thorin had killed Azog, so now Bolg wants to kill Thorin as an example of an endless cycle of hate and revenge between races.

Jackson said in the commentary he didn't want to introduce another character and have the guy be the same throughout

• Like 1

Jackson said in the commentary he didn't want to introduce another character and have the guy be the same throughout

Ah. Haven't done the commentaries yet since my current re-watching is with someone who hadn't seen the theatrical cut.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Having listened to about half of the commentary from Jackson/Boyens so far, they acknowledge the same thing and say that it would have been overload to introduce a separate villain for Thorin after establishing Azog. For all the flack they get about not restraining themselves, I kinda agree with that.

EDIT: John beat me to it. ;)

But I still disagree with the last minute decision to make him entirely mo-cap instead of the originally-planned idea to use a physical rendition.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 2

Well of course the 70m is suspect. But what can you do?

I remember Bourne Legacy  opening weekend estimate was 40m. When actuals rolled in it was down to 38m.

It's all smoke and mirrors and a couple mil is no big deal in reality. But 40 looks so much better than 38 in print, just like 70 looks much better than 68m.