Vanilla

A Fish Called Wanda

A Fish Called Wanda  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Okay so I watched this last night. While I didn't find it as funny as you guys were pumping it up to be, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The thing that made it great for me was how the actors went all in for their characters. I was immersed in their ridiculousness and that's what made it funny to me. Jamie Lee Curtis was outstanding. What an actress. I don't think I've ever seen her acting chops on full display like this. Kevin Kline I always knew was a great versatile actor but his Otto character actually gave me the most laughs. Especially when he would pop up everywhere Wanda was to keep an eye on her. I laughed so hard when he came on to Ken and Ken took off running.  The other character I enjoyed was the guy who played Archie. He was so good that he actually had my sympathy when Wanda was running the game on him.  I loved the central theme of the movie where everybody was a backstabber so you never knew how it would end, lol.

B+

• Like 4

Okay so I watched this last night. While I didn't find it as funny as you guys were pumping it up to be, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The thing that made it great for me was how the actors went all in for their characters. I was immersed in their ridiculousness and that's what made it funny to me. Jamie Lee Curtis was outstanding. What an actress. I don't think I've ever seen her acting chops on full display like this. Kevin Kline I always knew was a great versatile actor but his Otto character actually gave me the most laughs. Especially when he would pop up everywhere Wanda was to keep an eye on her. I laughed so hard when he came on to Ken and Ken took off running.  The other character I enjoyed was the guy who played Archie. He was so good that he actually had my sympathy when Wanda was running the game on him.  I loved the central theme of the movie where everybody was a backstabber so you never knew how it would end, lol.

B+

"The guy who played Archie" is John Cleese, a legendary British comedian and one of the co-founders of the comedy troupe called Monty Python.

• Like 3

"The guy who played Archie" is John Cleese, a legendary British comedian and one of the co-founders of the comedy troupe called Monty Python.

Well goody for him. Nah seriously, I never watched Monty Python so I wouldn't know. I might check it out because that guy is fantastic. I watch a lot of British drama but not comedy. The only British comedy I ever watched was Benny Hill and that woman Hyacinth.

• Like 1

Oh man, E, John Cleese is amazing. Dig up the sitcom "Fawlty Towers" -- it's gotta be available online somewhere.

Try Monty Python and the Holy Grail as well.  It's comedy classic.

Okay you guys got me digging in the crates now. 

• Like 2

B+

I had the same reaction as the others to "the guy who played "Archie".   :)   (That character is named after Cary Grant's real name by the way)

Cleese is a legend for sure.  He was the most popular member of Monty Python.   He's so awesome he even popped up in an episode of Cheers one time....and won an Emmy!

As others said, try Holy Grail or Fawlty Towers.    He has this "dignified" look that he is able to use to great advantage in comedy.

He can be completely absurd:

Gallant:

http://youtu.be/GJoM7V54T-c?t=1m13s

Executive:

The character in Fawlty Towers was inspired by a real hotel owner Cleese encountered while filming on location with Monty Python:

Well goody for him. Nah seriously, I never watched Monty Python so I wouldn't know. I might check it out because that guy is fantastic. I watch a lot of British drama but not comedy. The only British comedy I ever watched was Benny Hill and that woman Hyacinth.

Keeping Up Appearances!   I love that show!   She is comedy genius too.

• Like 3