lilmac

Weekend estimates: CF-$74.5; FRZ-$66.7; Thor2-$11.1

It was voted thusly at the Vegas convention, which just goes to show how myopically idiotic the collective diehard Trek fan base is (and I say that as someone who's mostly a diehard).

That's what I was thinking of. STID was underwhelming, but I've seen several worse Trek films. The original for starters. Then again, '09 is the only one I've really liked.

I don't know about Lone Ranger but the Wolverine Bullet Train sequence is the best action scene of 2013 to date.

This might be true if the neverending runway scene in Fast 6 didn't exist. The Rock clotheslined a motherfucker to death.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 4

Best action sequence of 2013 was the giant robot dragging a submarine through Hong Kong and smashing a Godzilla monster with it.I don't know what any of those stuff are called though because let's just say when I watched pacific rim my brain was only capable of processing the giant monsters fighting giant robots

• Like 6

The FAST 6 runway scene is definitely the most cheerfully absurd.... although LR is a challenger there as well.

I have yet to see the Lone Ranger, but I intend to check it out sometime. Gore Verbinski knows how to make a fun action sequence.

• Like 2

Best action sequence of 2013 was the giant robot dragging a submarine through Hong Kong and smashing a Godzilla monster with it.

I don't know what any of those stuff are called though because let's just say when I watched pacific rim my brain was only capable of processing the giant monsters fighting giant robots

Posted Image

• Like 2

Harry Potter has a better developed world, characters and plot; but Harry is the least interesting character to me in the series. On the contrary, Katniss is the most interesting character in her series. 

That's the basic problem of condensing the movies down to being all about Harry. I don't fault the movies for not all being 4-5 hours long but Rowling for creating a world around such an ultimately blah protagonist who's led around by the nose and constantly saved by smarter/more dynamic characters. It would be different if he weren't the freaking title character for every single book. Maybe that won't be a problem with the Fantastic Beasts movie, which BTW seems like a big underwhelmer waiting to happen. They really should've done a Quidditch movie.

That's the basic problem of condensing the movies down to being all about Harry. I don't fault the movies for not all being 4-5 hours long but Rowling for creating a world around such an ultimately blah protagonist who's led around by the nose and constantly saved by smarter/more dynamic characters. It would be different if he weren't the freaking title character for every single book. Maybe that won't be a problem with the Fantastic Beasts movie, which BTW seems like a big underwhelmer waiting to happen. They really should've done a Quidditch movie.

No, I think the problem is deeper than that. In the books Harry has flaws, he screws up, he gets jealous, and so forth. Very little of that comes across in the movies. What're interesting little rasps of character flaws get sanded down into their more generic lump. Add that to the fact he's a very reactive character, for the most part, and you end up with a lead who's essentially more of a symbol than anything else.
  • Like 2