lilmac

Weekend estimates: CF-$74.5; FRZ-$66.7; Thor2-$11.1

Looks like Frozen dominated CF in the state of Texas. Kinda weird as they seem to be equal or CF being higher pretty much everywhere else.

Because here in Texas it doesn't snow and we like to pretend it does with winter movies.
  • Like 1

I'm still stunned by how great Frozen was. Beautiful animation with strong story and great songs. Also, Olaf was loved by my niece. He was adorable as hell. He could be the next Minion, Dory or Scrat.  :D

I agree with most of what you have said except for this :

Posted Image

don't worry I will think of something

How about this. Catching Fire likely won't be able to top Twister as Phillip Seymour Hoffman's most attended movie domestically. There

Never change sir.

This goes out to you

You can't just leave it at that. This is a post that needs to be elaborated on.For science...and the lolz.

Black SUVs slightly more subtle than white Stormtroopers.Cary Elwes twirls his moustache slightly less than Donald Sutherland.Young PSH slightly less dryly doing "PSH" than post-Oscar PSH. Jami Gertz, subtler and more believable than Josh Hutcherson. The flying cow, slightly more emotive than Liam Hemsworth.Woody Harrelson does out-act the F5 woody debris, though. Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 4

I agree with most of what you have said except for this :

Posted Image

He is actually pretty sweet in the actual movie. And the way I think of him, he is 

the personification of Elsa's lost childhood and her desires for warmth and attachment that she could never act on because of her powers and having to always control and conceal them. Hence she expressed her suppressed feelings through the living snowman she created.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 3

No, I think the problem is deeper than that. In the books Harry has flaws, he screws up, he gets jealous, and so forth. Very little of that comes across in the movies. What're interesting little rasps of character flaws get sanded down into their more generic lump. Add that to the fact he's a very reactive character, for the most part, and you end up with a lead who's essentially more of a symbol than anything else.

That's another issue, too, that the characters' flaws were all kind of smoothed out too much, but that was with several characters besides Harry, like Hermione and Snape. But I do think the whole "Dumbledore explains it all, or Hermione is there to look it up" aspect of the books is a huge issue with adapting the films, less so when he's a little kid but more in the later books when Harry is supposed to be the man. In movies especially audiences respond more to characters who discover/do things themselves.

Also the romance, the way it's done in Potter just seems...wrong to me, where it's only natural the audience is more invested in his friends getting together, because you know them a lot better, collectively, than Harry and who he ends up with. It would be like in Star Wars, if Luke got with Hannah Solo or something. Nice enough, I guess, but a bit "who cares" compared to Han and Leia.

Speaking of the Imperial March, Hedwig's Theme is just a rearranged version of it, right?

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

Between B J doing the yeoman's work of giving us sellout reports on CF and Frozen, Rth giving us numbers and Telemachos usual Telemachoness, I see them dominating the likes this weekend.

Edited by DAR
  • Like 3

some more negative things about CF

It won't surpass Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides as Sam Claflin's highest grossing worldwide movie

It won't surpass 2012 as Woody Harrelson's top grossing international movie. 

It is disappointing after all 

That's another issue, too, that the characters' flaws were all kind of smoothed out too much, but that was with several characters besides Harry, like Hermione and Snape. But I do think the whole "Dumbledore explains it all, or Hermione is there to look it up" aspect of the books is a huge issue with adapting the films, less so when he's a little kid but more in the later books when Harry is supposed to be the man. In movies especially audiences respond more to characters who discover/do things themselves.Also the romance, the way it's done in Potter just seems...wrong to me, where it's only natural the audience is more invested in his friends getting together, because you know them a lot better, collectively, than Harry and who he ends up with. It would be like in Star Wars, if Luke got with Hannah Solo or something. Nice enough, I guess, but a bit "who cares" compared to Han and Leia.Speaking of the Imperial March, Hedwig's Theme is just a rearranged version of it, right?

Ron and Hermonie kind of threw me off, I always expected Harry and Hermonie.

Black SUVs slightly more subtle than white Stormtroopers.

Very racist.

Cary Elwes twirls his moustache slightly less than Donald Sutherland.

Wrong. A better argument would have been that Cary Elwes backwashes slightly less blood.

Young PSH slightly less dryly doing "PSH" than post-Oscar PSH.

Ha! PSH couldn't PSH himself out a wet paper bag in Twister.

Jami Gertz, subtler and more believable than Josh Hutcherson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gysu0kgFwT0

The flying cow, slightly more emotive than Liam Hemsworth.

....Ok, you have a good point. But the rest is fucking bollocks!

• Like 1