Moneyball

War Horse

If there were 5 I see it like this:

Artist

Descendents

The Help

Hugo

War Horse

With Moneyball getting the director nod, while The Help misses it.

I wish I could quote mutliple posts without having to search for everyone in the multiquote, meaning you can quote the post as well that the other is quoting.

Anyway, here are other films:

Tree of Life-Very mixed, low box office, early release date might hinder it. (Though those last 2 did not stop Hurt Locker or Winter's Bone)

HP8-None of the other 7 ever even came close to a nomination, so will the Academy really want to nominate it now?

Tinker-Losing steam.

Loud and Close-See above.

My Week-Possible, but Weinstein seems to be doing The Artist instead.

Tintin-Not happening. Unless if Nick does a serious campain.

Rango-See above.

Dragon Tattoo-Unlikely.

Drive-Possible, but unlikely.

Young Adult-Doubt it.

Extermely Loud and Incredibly Close out of the race for Best Picture! 50% on Rotten Tomatoes after 8 reviews, but the most interesting fact is that even the good reviews seem to give it just like a B- /B.

Extermely Loud and Incredibly Close out of the race for Best Picture! 50% on Rotten Tomatoes after 8 reviews, but the most interesting fact is that even the good reviews seem to give it just like a B- /B.

Its chances didn't ever come from critics support. They're hoping to reach the mainstream heart the same way The Green Mile did. So until it opens wide, it's still possible.

In fact, it's the same card roght now is playing War Horse. So-so reviews won't matter if it can connect with its audience.

I'm not so sure Impact about War Horse getting a nom. I mean it is very likely, but we shall see.

I'm not so sure Impact about War Horse getting a nom. I mean it is very likely, but we shall see.

I'm also not sure about that. It's more probable The tree of Life gets in instead of War Horse.

BTW, i'm pretty surprised how everyone is so sure we will have at most seven BP noms. Why? With this unclear campaign and many films still in the race, it seems very possible we can have 9/10 films nominated.

Its chances didn't ever come from critics support. They're hoping to reach the mainstream heart the same way The Green Mile did. So until it opens wide, it's still possible.

In fact, it's the same card roght now is playing War Horse. So-so reviews won't matter if it can connect with its audience.

Yes, however, it's not like it's going to be nominated if it ends up rotten. The Green Mile had 80% on RT anyway.

Is that % a fact? It's possible last year a few films nominated missed the 5% first votes. It was because many in the industry really loved two films: The Social Network and The King's Speech. Also, the auteur votes went totally to support Aranofski's Black Swan and Coen's True Grit. Inception also probably got many more than that 5%.

The massive support for this films probably did hurt the first votes % of 127 hours / TKAAR / Winter's bone. So we could had only seven nominees.

This year is very different. There are no big frontrunners (Social Network), not classic academy options (The King speech), not mainstream well loved films (Inception), not respected directors scoring amazing successes people don't stop talking about (True grit and Black Swan).

2011 is a very divisive year and we can easily get 9/10 noms. I can't see any film collecting more than 25% of the first votes.

So for someone to just say "I think seven max" when it seems quite easy to get 5%...

Yes, it is, but they won't have more than ten nominees or less than five. I guess in a case of such close ties they would do a recount of the votes and meticulously look over placement on ballots for tie-breakers. But, I'm sure it would work out in the end.

The Reader got bad reviews and still was nominated for BP and BD.