10 members have voted

1. 1. Downfall

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

^^ Netflix?It's a really good film. I haven't seen it since the whole crazy meme explosion started.... not sure if I can ever watch those scenes again straight, as intended.

What's a meme?Anyway, this movie was surprisingly good. Very well acted. Those final hours were hard to watch though with what happened to the family with little kids.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_meme

An Internet meme is an idea that is propagated through the World Wide Web. The idea may take the form of ahyperlink, video, picture, website, hashtag, or just a word or phrase, such as intentionally misspelling the word "more" as "moar" or "the" as "teh". The meme may spread from person to person via social networks, blogs, directemail, news sources, or other web-based services.An Internet meme may stay the same or may evolve over time, by chance or through commentary, imitations,parody, or by incorporating news accounts about itself. Internet memes can evolve and spread extremely rapidly, sometimes reaching world-wide popularity and vanishing within a few days.

Lol I did watch this movie before it become the source of one of the greatest and best Internet meme's in history...

It was on the history channel back in 2005 or so and I found a great epic tale of Hitler's last few days and the madness and it was a bit shocking as you saw these characters through an human/emotional lens

Hitler was evil but he got along well with his dog and his secretary and such...

I was the only person out of people I knew who watched this film...

Then the internet meme hit and the film became quite popular in the West...

All of my friends saw it due to the internet meme and such...

Very good movie... and that is - unfortunately - not that common for a German cinema movie.

There was debate at the time in Germany whether it "humanizes" Hitler too much. But that is the point. If one demonizes him it makes it too easy to push it away, as if it has nothing to do with reality. He was human, he was real. That is the shocking thing about Hitler and the Third Reich (and those who followed him).

I find it a bit weird how one can just push this aside as an "average melodrama". It certainly had a much different effect on many people.

The cast is outstanding, Bruno Ganz (Hitler) and Corinna Harfouch (Magda Goebbels) in particular.

One can hardly believe that this was directed by the guy who made "Diana". Ouch. 

A

Edited by ShouldIBeHere

I agree that it's pretty average aside from Ganz's performance. Didn't leave me with much of anything besides the "Hitler was a human too!" thing, which wasn't exactly a revelation in the first place. The innocent young secretary serving as the actual main character and the eyes of the viewer is the easiest possible route they could have taken, plus it's shot like an ugly TV movie. 

• Like 1