Shawn Robbins

Wednesday #s: ANCHORMAN 2 8.1M/ It's in a glass case of emotion / Hobbit (4.855m) / CF (1.243m)

• Founder / Operator

I've tended to always think the weekend would account for a heavy share of AM2's opening, something around 75%. It's very hard to gauge this kind of movie one week before Christmas on a non-weekend.

That being said, curious to see what the actuals bring.

I think the long-run will prove that even an $80m budget would have yielded a profitable movie, but I do agree with you that it's easy to see why Paramount was hesitant after the first film's box office (decent, but not great).

I imagine the marketing budget is likely double the production budget, $50m is okay for a comedy and a sequel, $80-100m is IMO far too much unless you're a proven seller like Adam Sandler, The Other Guys was $100m as was Little Fockers although the former was quite action heavy plus had Ferrell and Wahlberg and the other was I'm guessing mostly salaries for Stiller and DeNiro. The most expensive comedy was How Do You Know with Paul Rudd, Owen Wilson, Jack Nicholson and Reese Witherspoon which cost $120m which bombed which didn't need to cost as much as it did.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

I  not thinking atm its doing more than 7 but I just saw BOG say 8-9 hmm

DOS around 5

Thanks, Rth. Expected drop for DOS, but... geez, if AM2 is around $7m it really needs to pick up over the weekend. I figured it was good for at least $9-10m before today.

Also, assuming your AM2 number includes Tuesday night's gross?

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

I  not thinking atm its doing more than 7 but I just saw BOG say 8-9 hmm

DOS around 5

Damn, 7 would be brutal (possibly less than DOS-mindnights) ... and 5 for DOS isn't very good at all either considering the poor Monday & Tuesday, but I've come to expect it.

Edited by Adam

• Founder / Operator

I imagine the marketing budget is likely double the production budget, $50m is okay for a comedy and a sequel, $80-100m is IMO far too much unless you're a proven seller like Adam Sandler, The Other Guys was $100m as was Little Fockers although the former was quite action heavy plus had Ferrell and Wahlberg and the other was I'm guessing mostly salaries for Stiller and DeNiro. The most expensive comedy was How Do You Know with Paul Rudd, Owen Wilson, Jack Nicholson and Reese Witherspoon which cost $120m which bombed which didn't need to cost as much as it did.

I still can't believe they spent $120m on that movie. :lol:

• Like 3

• Founder / Operator

Damn, 7 would be brutal (possibly less than DOS-mindnights) ... and 5 for DOS isn't very good at all either considering the poor Monday & Tuesday.

AUJ dropped 19.5%. If DOS pulls $5m for today, that would be about the same drop (-20.6%).

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

5m would be the exact same drop AUJ had.

DOS needs to pick itself up over the weekend or it is fucked

Based on what? I'm genuinely curious. Very few people thought this was going to make as much as AUJ domestically, so that obviously can't be the point of comparison...

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

yeah but at the rate it is going now it might not even reach 250m. 

At the rate it's going, it'll hit $260m unless it deviates significantly from AUJ's legs (which it hasn't yet). Not that that's an amazing gross or anything, but it's definitely not "it's fucked" territory. That would have been something like sub-$200m domestic/$700m global.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 2

Thanks, Rth. Expected drop for DOS, but... geez, if AM2 is around $7m it really needs to pick up over the weekend. I figured it was good for at least $9-10m before today.

Also, assuming your AM2 number includes Tuesday night's gross?

Hopefully it is less than 7m

• Like 1

At the rate it's going, it'll hit $260m unless it deviates significantly from AUJ's legs (which it hasn't yet). Not that that's an amazing gross or anything, but it's definitely not "it's fucked" territory. That would have been something like sub-$200m domestic/$750m global.

Saying 'it's fucked' is an overly emotional response ... like the one I made saying the same thing.  :lol:

After the weekend, I was hoping for it to at least possibly get close to 270-280 ... just don't think it can do that.  Maybe it can squeeze it's way to 260, but I don't know.

Edited by Adam
  • Like 1