Godzilla

How to Train Your Dragon 2 OS (418 mil OS!!!)

I'm interested to see what happens in France.

I know it's difficult to compare different films/markets/tastes/people etc. but I think we could learn about some of the following:

1) Does Dragon 2 actually have good WOM? Perhaps, better than Dragon 1? (US 50% drop says otherwise, run so far, other countries massive frontloading)

2) Does a big start help the movie because the WOM spreads faster, in that sense, even if people don't like it, if the initial amount of people was much higher, there would be a much larger amount of people spreading the good WOM. To rephrase, if 90% of 100 people liked a movie, it still won't end up with very much as opposed to 75% of 1,000,000 people since 750,000 people continue to spread the WOM.

3) How much did the holiday boost grosses in France/Brazil/Australia etc as opposed to people actually wanting to watch it?

4) How much did the World Cup affect places like Brazil, SEA, Russia, USA etc (though a lot have been affected by the additional combo of TF4)

5) Are there people who can appreciate the darker, more mature and realistic side of animation, and if so, fuck stupid families, idiot Americans and etc. /endminirant

The last point is mostly irrelevant. but otherwise I'm more intrigued to see if it can keep up this promise. US run is a write off, forgettable, uninteresting, depressing, lame, disgusting run.

I'm pretty impressed by France number because , yes wenesday was the last day of fete du cinéma, but the weather was so sunny. So i was worried for the opening day. Now , this passed week end it was the big first depart for holidays for families, which meant they are on their road, train or plane to reach their vacation place... And some others student, failed at the baccalaureat and are in need to study during the week end to go at the next chance to have their diploma.

oh and on friday there was the big game france vs germany.

Despite all of these, dragons 2 made more than 1 millions admissions in 5 days. I wouldn't have bet on this if i had to do a bet! 

Edited by pupuceplus

Well,Frozen was really successful in the US,400m is huge.Dragon 2 probably came too early.

Come on, that's a silly excuse, it has been half a year, and we have had a much more successful animated film open in between.

• Like 1

Dang, that sucks. But as far as countries whose weekend totals were reported, Australia and Brazil held from the earlier estimates, and France INCREASED a little bit, so other than Mexico dropping from estimates, I wonder what territories lost it $3.5m.(Or did someone at Fox put UK preview grosses into the original reported total, then change their mind and take them out so they could be held over to beef up next weekend's wide UK opening number? Eh, probably not...)

Edited by TServo2049

Dang, that sucks. But as far as countries whose weekend totals were reported, Australia and Brazil held from the earlier estimates, and France INCREASED a little bit, so other than Mexico dropping from estimates, I wonder what territories lost it $3.5m.(Or did someone at Fox put UK preview grosses into the original reported total, then change their mind and take them out so they could be held over to beef up next weekend's wide UK opening number? Eh, probably not...)

It had 14 new territories this week, according to Deadline. It may be a little bit from some or all of them.

France estimation for How to train your dragon 2 In it's  first week : 1 350 000 admissions.  Number one of course of the top. 

to compare the first movie did 2 314 000 admissions in 10 weeks. 

Edited by pupuceplus
  • Like 2

I went to watch dragons 2 (again ), today at 3pm30 and the theater was full, plenty kids who loved it and adult loved it as well. I was quite surprise to see so much people, because I was still expecting le petit nicolas to do better ;

• Like 1