Godzilla

How to Train Your Dragon 2 OS (418 mil OS!!!)

Domestically, Dragon is at 140M after a weekend just a little below 9M. Most animated films released in summer tend to have multipliers close to 5x once they fall under the double-digit, therefore Dragon's final gross should be around 170/175M.

Ironically, I hope YOU are right :P

DreamWorks Animation’s How To Train Your Dragon 2gathered a further $33.5m from 9,732 screens in 59 markets through Fox International to reach $153.2m.

The family sequel opened top in France on $7.5m from 768 for the second biggest Hollywood debut of 2014 and added $2.7m from 525 in Australia for $16.4m, $2.6m from 1,543 in Mexico for $16.1m and $2.2m from 851 in Brazil for $16m, all in the third weekend.

China, the UK, Germany, Italy, Spain and South Korea and yet to open.

Good to see it's gaining some traction in the OS markets. Better legs in some holdover markets too: Down 25% in Mexico (vs. 45% last wknd), down only 20% in Brazil (even with Brazil advancing, and the concurrent BO carnage and screening cancellations - covered in the Brazil thread) and UP 15% in Australia, against TF4's opening no less. There may yet be hope.I wonder, are the UK previews being counted in the OS total, or do they not get rolled in until the real OW?

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Good to see it's gaining some traction in the OS markets. Better legs in some holdover markets too: Down 25% in Mexico (vs. 45% last wknd), down only 20% in Brazil (even with Brazil advancing, and the concurrent BO carnage and screening cancellations - covered in the Brazil thread) and UP 15% in Australia, against TF4's opening no less. There may yet be hope.I wonder, are the UK previews being counted in the OS total, or do they not get rolled in until the real OW?

I think a few members in the UK thread said that they'll be included into the OW. 

And nice week for Dragon 2.  It still has many major markets left, and the positive thing is that TF4 has already opened in most of them and the World Cup is nearing its end, too.  

Edited by Corpse

I think a few members in the UK thread said that they'll be included into the OW.

Wasn't exactly my question. My question was, do you have any idea (from past experience) if Fox is already including them in the reported OS cume total yet, or will the 2 weeks of previews be added into the OS cume after the real OW? BOM has a UK weekend number for last weekend - though I'm not sure if it includes the England/Wales previews, or just the Scotland/Ireland/Northern Ireland early-release numbers. (And since those aren't previews, would THOSE already be in the OS cume?)And once again, BOM's reported OS cume is lower (though this time "only" by $600K). Where do they get those lower numbers? Edited by TServo2049

Yes, but I was worried that holdovers might not recover after elimination - that by the time they were out of the Cup, Mexicans would have found something else to move on to.But will it maintain good legs even after TF4 drops next weekend?

Edited by TServo2049

I think the World Cup's last dozen matches have turned off a lot of people.

It's just been bore game after bore game from supposedly "big" teams and "best" players.

I'm glad it's ending since it's become a cure for sleep deprivation.

Good to see the recovery for Dragon 2, after all, once your country is out, interest drops dramatically, especially if you feel wronged, dislike the remaining teams, in it for country euphoria etc.

And correction about Australia - forgot that TF4 opened LAST weekend. Still amazing that Dragons increased almost 20% against both TF4's second weekend AND direct competition from Rio 2...

:blink:

Okay that was a surprise. And a very good one.

Edited by xSabrinax

proud to be french, today  i went to see the movie again, at the 6pm screening and the theater was full ^^ and audience love it, it was fun, the small kid behind be , a boy around 7 years said " I loved it " and the awkard moment when a boy asked at loud " 

is he dead?

LOL

The word of mouth is excellent in France. It's just the begining, not even a week and already done awesome number! very proud

• Like 3

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/international-box-office-maleficent-frozen-transformers-extinction-dragon-tammy-edge-tomorrow/How To Train Your Dragon 2 opened in several markets this week including France where the Fox release had the 2nd biggest Hollywood opening of the year. It was No. 1 with a very strong $7.5M on 768 screens — especially when a lot of young boys were still wrapped up in hopes this week that Les Bleus might continue to advance in the World Cup. In total, HTTYD2 picked up $33.5M from 9,732 screens in 59 overseas territories. Also notable was the film’s 18% increase on last weekend in Australia with $2.7M. Mexico ($2.6M) and Brazil ($2.2M) were still No. 1 in their 3rd frames. The international cume is $153.2M, with the UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, South Korea, and China still to come.
  • Like 2

yeah , in France, we love dragons 2 , there is a famous website " allocine " , actually the rating by the viewers is 4.6/5 from 1290 viewers vote! it's good . It's been only 5 days since it's release and it doing great! i 'm so happy 

Edited by pupuceplus
  • Like 1

yeah , in France, we love dragons 2 , there is a famous website " allocine " , actually the rating by the viewers is 4.6/5 from 1290 viewers vote! it's good . It's been only 5 days since it's release and it doing great! i 'm so happy 

You are lucky to live in place that everyone loves dragons.  :lol: