grim22

Best movies of 2013 as voted by Box Office Forum members | CLOSED. 40+ LISTS RECEIVED. THANK YOU.

Greetings and Salutations fellow Box Office Forum members,2013 is coming to a close (or has come to a close depending on when you are reading this) and I looked around to see if this list has been started by someone or not. Since I didn't see anyone having started this specific list, Gopher has the Box Office Awards running but those are across all categories and that is not what I am aiming for with this list, I decided to open the thread. Mods, please lock and delete if something similar exists.What is this list?This list just attempts to collate and consolidate the top 10-15 (depending on responses) movies that box office forum members felt were the Best movies of 2013. Best is a relative term, someone may have loved Hangover Part 3, while others may have hated it. This list attempts to get the consensus from the people who choose to participate.What am i asking for from the forum members?Not much, just send me via PM ONLY. your ranked list of best movies for the year. Any number of movies can be included in your list, but PLEASE RANK THE MOVIES.How will this work?I will take all responses received, and assign points to each position a movie is ranked at. The points will be distributed so that the top 3 movies in each list benefit more than lower ranked movies, and #1 benefits the most. The point distribution will be:1. 25 points2. 18 points3. 15 points4. 12 points5. 10 points6. 7 points7. 5 points8. 4 points9. 3 points10. 2 pointsAll movies beyond 10th place in your list will get 1 point each.At the end, after all lists have been collated and points have been added, I will reveal the top 10-15 (depending on the breadth of responses received) movies as chosen by the box office forum members.Cool, till when do I have time to submit my list?I am aiming to have all responses in by January 21st. This gives people 3 weeks to catch up on movies they may have missed or are waiting for a movie to expand (Ex: "HER")If enough responses are received by January 21st, then I will collate, assign points, calculate everything in 3 days and have the reveal on Sunday January 26th.That is it. Nothing else is asked or demanded of you. Just send me your list of top movies of the year via PM. Include reasons why you have ranked a movie as #1 or #2 or whatever if you feel like it and I will do the rest.Please do let me know if you would be willing to send in a list.Hoping for a good response.Grim.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2

I actually did this earlier today for my Facebook friends (I share my crowd reports with them and they always ask for a year-end list). This year I saw 60 new films in theaters. My top 16 were A- or better in my book:

1 - The Way Way Back2 - 12 Years a Slave3 - The Wolf of Wall Street4 - Gravity IMAX 3D5 - Mud6 - American Hustle7 - Blue Jasmine8 - Frozen9 - The Hunger Games' Catching Fire10 - Side Effects11 - The Iceman12 - Much Ado About Nothing13 - Despicable Me 214 - Oblivion IMAX15 - Don Jon16 - The Place Beyond the Pines

• Like 1

I only need to see 2 more movies: Her and Inside Llewyn Davis in order to finalize my list. I'll submit it as soon as possible then.Question: Lone Survivor counts as a 2013 release, right? In that case, it's 3 more movies I need to see.

• Like 1

Couple of questions. Firstly, do straight to TV/DVD films count or do they have to have cinema screenings? And secondly, what about foreign films that haven't had screenings over here yet? 

I haven't seen a lot of films this year, so please don't hurt me :(

1 - Frozen

2 - Man of Steel

3 - Pacific Rim

4 - Monsters University

5 - The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

6 - The Croods

7 - Thor: The Dark World

9 - Star Trek Into Darkness

10 - The Heat

11 - Identity Thief

12 - 2 Guns

• Like 3

I only need to see 2 more movies: Her and Inside Llewyn Davis in order to finalize my list. I'll submit it as soon as possible then.Question: Lone Survivor counts as a 2013 release, right? In that case, it's 3 more movies I need to see.

Yup, Lone Survivor is 2013.

Couple of questions. Firstly, do straight to TV/DVD films count or do they have to have cinema screenings? And secondly, what about foreign films that haven't had screenings over here yet? 

Straight to DVD does not count. Has to have a North American release in 2013. You can include foreign films, but if no one else includes them (which is a possibility) they will not make the final list.

• Like 1

http://thepandaflicksreviews.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-10-best-movies-of-2013.html - My list

1.12 Years a Slave

2.Inside Llewyn Davis

3.Gravity

4.Fruitvale Station

5.The Wolf of Wall Street

6.The Spectacular Now

7.Mud

8.Frozen

9.Saving Mr. Banks

10.This is the End

Alternates: Her (because I saw it late), Before Midnight, The Way Way Back, Philomena, American Hustle, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Rush

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

My top 10.

The only criteria I used was how much I enjoyed them.

1- Frozen Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

2- Catching Fire Posted ImagePosted Image

3- Now You See Me  Posted Image

4- The Croods

5- About Time

6- Despicable Me 2

7- This Is The End

8- Warm Bodies

9- Pacific Rim

10- American Hustle

Heh, I only just realized my top 2 are Fire and Ice (well, Ice and Fire to be more precise :D )

Edited by Incarnadine
  • Like 1

1) The Wolf of Wall Street

2) This is the End

3) The Way Way Back

4) The Place Beyond the Pines

5) Blackfish

6) Frozen

7) Homefront

8) Walter Mitty

9) About Time

10) 12 Years a Slave