LexJoker

Monday #s (12/30) 'HAPPY NEW YEAR'

the lack of competition did in fact help Frozen hugely. I don't understand whats wrong in saying that.  Any numbers for Ah and WOWS?

Nothing wrong with it at all.  But saying it has performed "merely well" is like saying Despicable Me 2's performance was simply serviceable.

• Like 1

Huh? The first time Frozen held significantly better than Tangled was the weekend of Dec 20th, the weekend  leading up to Xmas. Before that it was holding only mildly better, often the same.

Except Frozen was making 2 to 3 times as much as Tangled so for it drop better from the get go is WOM. Clearly, it was helped by weak competition but great WOM has played a strong part in the holds during holidays as well. 

Stop being close-minedTangled vs FrozenSecond weekend drop: -56% vs -53%Third Weeked drop: -33.7% vs -28.6%Fourth weekend drop: -38.8% vs -13%Frozen held better than Tangled on every single weekend BEFORE christmas

Thank you for proving my point! Frozen's holds were only mildly better until Dec 20th (the 3rd weekend). Exactly what I've been saying this whole time.

Stop being close-minedTangled vs FrozenSecond weekend drop: -56% vs -53%Third Weeked drop: -33.7% vs -28.6%Fourth weekend drop: -38.8% vs -13%Frozen held better than Tangled on every single weekend BEFORE Christmas

With much bigger numbers to start with as well.

Looking at multiplier from OD:

By day 5 (first Sunday), Frozen already had a 6.6% better multiplier than Tangled.

Day 12 (2nd Sunday), it was 8.6% ahead.

Day 19 (3rd Sunday) it was 11.6% ahead.

Day 26 (4th Sunday) it was 17.3% ahead.

Day 33 (5th Sunday) it was 35.0% ahead.

It had been gaining on Tangled since the beginning, prior to the holidays even starting.  In fact, it had been doing so within its opening 5 day period itself.  This last week was clearly the biggest jump, however, and that will be balanced a bit by this week, as Tangled took the largest advantage of the holiday period in this upcoming week.

• Like 1

Huh? The first time Frozen held significantly better than Tangled was the weekend of Dec 20th, the weekend  leading up to Xmas. Before that it was holding only mildly better, often the same.

Mildly better with MUCH LARGER NUMBERS.  It's much easier to have good holds when your weekends are sub 20m unlike Frozen's weekends. (Which had a much larger opening and has been dealing with blockbuster type numbers, not typical animated fair type numbers)

I understand lack of competition has helped (I never said it didnt), but thinking Frozen's word of mouth is only decent is foolish, especially when you look at actual statistics (and their relativity) compared to your stretches (not lies, but major stretches).

Also, the fact that nearly everybody on a board that would typically argue TDKR vs. everything is in near universal agreement of love for Frozen (And the people they know) says something about its word of mouth.

Edited by The Panda

What's wrong with saying it is half of this board loves Frozen and is wearing their rose colored glasses, so they can't stand the fact that there's something other than WOM in play with their precious box office run. 

Nothing wrong with that but to also say Tangled would have made the same gross as Frozen or ROTG would have made 200M+ with this release date is beyond laughable. 

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with that but to also say Tangled would have made the same gross as Frozen or ROTG would have made 200M+ with this release date is beyond laughable. 

Except it isn't. No kid's competition during Xmas is a marvelous thing. We'll see it again with Museum next year, quote me on it. 

Frozen has had an absolutely special, magical, and spectacular run that isn't even comparable to Tangled, which was just a just a pretty good animation hit. Frozen is a megahit that is doing 330+. Why can't we one time let sleeping dogs lie and let a film do awesome without finding a reason to shit on it?

P.S. I have no biased support for Frozen, I haven't even seen it- animated films are not my thing at all.

• Like 6

One thing to keep in mind as well with Tangled comparisons.

Tangled had FANTASTIC word of mouth.

I feel like with these comparisons people are forgetting how great the WOM was at that time.  The fact that Frozen held better, with much bigger numbers to start out with is phenomenal.

Frozen has had an absolutely special, magical, and spectacular run that isn't even comparable to Tangled, which was just a just a pretty good animation hit. Frozen is a megahit that is doing 330+. Why can't we one time let sleeping dogs lie and let a film do awesome without finding a reason to shit on it?

P.S. I have no biased support for Frozen, I haven't even seen it- animated films are not my thing at all.

Please WATCH IT! 

• Like 1

One thing to keep in mind as well with Tangled comparisons.

Tangled had FANTASTIC word of mouth.

I feel like with these comparisons people are forgetting how great the WOM was at that time.  The fact that Frozen held better, with much bigger numbers to start out with is phenomenal.

That's my issue here though. People are downplaying Tangled's WOM and overplaying Frozen's. Tangled did have fantastic WOM. To say Frozen had Tangled's WOM means I'm saying Frozen's WOM was fantastic too. But as I pointed out in the Frozen thread, kid's movies besides Tangled grossed over half a billion domestically that Holiday season. Kid's movies besides Frozen have grossed over $20m this Holiday season. :unsure:  How could that possibly not be having an impact?

• Like 1

Only if Into the Woods is really appealing to kids, and the premise sounds more adult oriented despite being a Disney flick.

Annie is one competition

Hobbit 3 is again competition (the other two have appealed to families so will the third)

Big Hero 6 and Home will be holdovers similar to Rise of the Guardians and Wreck-It Ralph

Exodus (Depending on its rating) always could given its Biblical themes

There'll probably be some more announced later through the year.

Even then, Night at the Museum 3 won't get close to Frozen's overall gross, competition or not.

• Like 1

That's my issue here though. People are downplaying Tangled's WOM and overplaying Frozen's. Tangled did have fantastic WOM. To say Frozen had Tangled's WOM means I'm saying Frozen's WOM was fantastic too. But as I pointed out in the Frozen thread, kid's movies besides Tangled grossed over half a billion domestically that Holiday season. Kid's movies besides Frozen have grossed over $20m this Holiday season. :unsure:  How could that possibly not be having an impact?

NOBODY HAS SAID LACKLUSTER COMPETITION HASN'T PLAYED AN IMPACT.

We have said it again and again, we are just saying WoM is Frozen's highlight for why it's doing so well.