LexJoker

Monday #s (12/30) 'HAPPY NEW YEAR'

Fine, if that's true I guess we'll see it in the dailies when kids go back to school next week. It's not like adults never go to animation alone. My friends and I are all adults and went to DM2 without kids. Hardly means they're the majority of the audience though. Animation is fueled by the kid audience, even Pixar movies which attract the biggest adult audience.

I'm not saying it won't have a major drop off next week in dailies (it will), but it's not coming close to crashing and burning.

It happened last year with Rise of the Guardians (Monsters Inc re-release could be comparable to Walking with Dinos) and all the family money went to Hobbit.

Frozen has fantastic WoM, just admit it already.

You're leaving out Life of Pi which was  a PG based on a popular children's book and the 50m+ Ralph grossed during the Holiday season. Add all 4 of those grosses together and you get something comparable to Frozen + WWD's  gross. Anyways, I admitted a long time ago Frozen obviously has good to great WOM, but the lack of competition is the reason for these insane holds right now. If it weren't for that it would be having more along the lines of Tangled's holds (which still had great WOM).

What I'm saying is it will have a bigger than normal drop off after the Holidays because it has had a bigger than normal increase during the Holidays due to no competition. Again people, this type of thing never happens where there's only one real kid's movie for the Holidays.Not sure why no one wants to realize/admit how much this is reaping that reward.

But you have been saying that because of the lack of competition it has been holding so well.  So why would it come crashing down more than normal once the Holidays are over when there aren't any new Family movies coming into the market.

The fact is that Frozen was having crazy good holds before the Christmas season as well.

Really is has been consistently spectacular to date.

You're leaving out Life of Pi which was  a PG based on a popular children's book and the 50m+ Ralph grossed during the Holiday season. Add all 4 of those grosses together and you get something comparable to Frozen + WWD's  gross. Anyways, I admitted a long time ago Frozen obviously has good to great WOM, but the lack of competition is the reason for these insane holds right now. If it weren't for that it would be having more along the lines of Tangled's holds (which still had great WOM).

Life of Pi was not a children's book, have you even read Life of Pi?  It would bore any child (plus the ending in the book is really gruesome), plus it really wasn't getting child audiences (It was getting mostly adult and people curious about awards).

Lack of competition is not THE reason, it's word of mouth otherwise it would be doing a bit better than Tangled numbers right now.

Plus, The Hobbit got a lot of family audiences last year, I see no reason why it isn't getting some this year that aren't going to see Frozen.

Also, Mitty is attracting some family audiences (to a lesser extent), and when I saw 47 Ronin I saw quite a lot of little boys in that theater. (It's flopping, but it is getting some of the family audience)

A movie does not have to be animated or a family comedy to attract child audiences (fantasy attracts a LOT of family audiences)

EDIT:  More proof Life of Pi was not a children's book,

"it won the Asian/Pacific American Award for Literature in Best Adult Fiction for years 2001–2003."

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 3

If you just look at the Thansgiving to New Year's grosses of Pi, Ralph, Guardians, and Monsters 3D they combine for around $260m. Frozen and WWD are going to combine for about $280m through New Year's. So yes Frozen has had great WOM, but it also hasn't had to share really at all. It would be like if Guardians had only gone up against Monsters Inc 3D last year. Probably would have doubled its gross in that case.

In the city for New Year's so I'll be seeing Inside Llewyn Davis this afternoon. Leaving late next morning so I doubt I'll be able to swing in and see Her at the same theater tomorrow.

Theater also has Lone Survivor (which I can wait for January 10 for) and August (which I can wait for DVD for). I suppose there are benefits to living Upper West Side if you got the cash for it.

• Like 1

If you just look at the Thansgiving to New Year's grosses of Pi, Ralph, Guardians, and Monsters 3D they combine for around $260m. Frozen and WWD are going to combine for about $280m through New Year's. So yes Frozen has had great WOM, but it also hasn't had to share really at all. It would be like if Guardians had only gone up against Monsters Inc 3D last year. Probably would have doubled its gross in that case.

Competition is a factor but imo there is no way Legend of Guardians would have made over $200 million regardless of competition.

• Like 1

I worked out the grosses for Frozen Hobbit AM2 AH andvBanks for laguys winter game. I have Frozen at 340-350 by MLK weekend. Hobbit245-250 and AM2 115-120.

• Like 2

Again, you CAN'T count Life of Pi, that would be like counting Saving Mr. Banks, Life of Pi was attracting mostly adults.

You are also failing to take into account The Hobbit (both years attracted families), and Mitty (which is a family oriented movie).

and cum on guys! (see what I did there?) both are the reasons FRZ is doing so well. And what are we supposed to do anyway, subtract $100M from its total and give it to Tangled because that one had severer competition? Life of Pi is not a children's book, btw. Where the Wild Things Are is.

• Like 2

and cum on guys! (see what I did there?) both are the reasons FRZ is doing so well. And what are we supposed to do anyway, subtract $100M from its total and give it to Tangled because that one had severer competition? Life of Pi is not a children's book, btw. Where the Wild Things Are is.

On the topic of Frozen, I feel like a pervert whenever I hear "For the First Time in Forever." Why?

Why have a ballroom with no balls?

:ph34r: 

• Like 1