LexJoker

Wednesday #s (1/1) | FRZ 8.72,DOS 7.8,WOWS 5.671,AM2 4.874,SMB 4.178 (Official estimates)

I would compare 1st movie of a sequel with 1st of another, and so on.

Batman begins - 205, HG - 408

TDK - 533, HG:CF - 420

TDKR - 448, HG:MJ 1 - ?

The TDK trilogy is still the highest grossing trilogy domestically. It will remain that way for another few years.

HG:MJ 1 needs 357m approx. for 1st 3 HG films to overtake Batman triology.

I don't think it will. I am thinking HG:MJ1 will drop to 330-340M domestic which is still terrific for only half a movie. 

HG:MJ 1 needs 357m approx. for 1st 3 HG films to overtake Batman triology.

but then the fourth will be released and we can continue to call TDK trilogy the highest grossing trilogy domestically.

Edited by #ED

@Hiccup: Deathly hallows part 1 and Breaking dawn part 1 both reduced < 10% over it's predecessor, why would HG:MJ part 1 reduce by 20%?

(something's wrong with windows 8 + ie...it's not letting me reply to someone, just lets me post something new. sorry for my seemingly context-less posts)

Edited by a2knet

I don't know if anybody posted this but BOM says has American Hustle's week so far.

American Hustle- Monday- 4.0M, Tuesday- 4.4M, and Wednesday- 5.4M for a total of 73.0M

Edited by Hiccup

but then the fourth will be released and we can continue to call TDK trilogy the highest grossing trilogy domestically.

So, I guess we can say TDK will be the highest grossing trilogy, and The Hunger Games will be the highest grossing Quadrilogy.

• Like 1

I say regardless of Aurora it wasn't going to happen. The film just wasn't as strong. 

Agreed... but Aurora took $10-20 million off its opening weekend and likely another 20-25 million for the rest of its run so $490-495 million would have likely been its gross since August had a fairly lackluster slate 

Druv is right.  We had 12 shows a day for Frozen's first 3-4 weeks.  On Christmas day, it was dropped to 5 shows, but moved to IDX for the first 3, which is the biggest theater we have.  So, yeah, the initial engagement was honored and since it was still doing better than almost everything else, we removed the first 2 shows of Hobbit 3D HFR and put in 3 shows of Frozen.

I'm sure most theaters were doing what they could to keep it playing as much as possible.

Okay that's how it works! Thanks Rallax. I know I wasn't crazy at Long Beach frozen was down to 5 shows but in the last couple of days it went up to 10.  

• Founder / Operator

WOM wasn't as good as TDK so it certainly wasn't going to beat 533M+ that TDK made, shooting or no shooting.

Not necessarily. Word of mouth wasn't as strong as TDK, but it was still very good (contrary to Internet myth). Sequels don't need to have stronger WOM than their predecessors in order to gross more in the long run if they open large enough (see Dead Man's Chest as a great example; its reception was generally very good, but not as strong as the first film).

I agree it probably wouldn't have hit $533m (more like $500-510m, IMHO), but none of us can say it certainly wasn't going to top $533m under normal real world circumstances. It had all of the insane fanboy+mainstream hype with none of the toxic reception to be capable of it, even if it was always a long-shot.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 2

Not necessarily. Word of mouth wasn't as strong as TDK, but it was still very good (contrary to Internet myth). Sequels don't need to have stronger WOM than their predecessors in order to gross more in the long run if they open large enough (see Dead Man's Chest as a great example; its reception was generally very good, but not as strong as the first film).

Definitely not as good as TDK though