LexJoker

Wednesday #s (1/1) | FRZ 8.72,DOS 7.8,WOWS 5.671,AM2 4.874,SMB 4.178 (Official estimates)

Disney's 2003 release was Brother Bear, which had a fantastic OW/final multiplier, due to opening on a Saturday, of all days, but grossed far less than Finding Nemo.

They had a 2004 release of Home on the Range, vastly disappointing, and Pixar had The Incredibles.

Other matchups:

Ratatouille vs Meet the Robinsons (2007)

Wall-E vs Bolt (2008)

Up vs The Princess and the Frog (2009)

Toy Story 3 vs Tangled (2010)

Cars 2 vs Winnie the Pooh (2011)

Brave vs Wreck-It Ralph (2012)

As far as RT numbers, both Winnie the Pooh and Wreck-It Ralph garnered a higher tomatoscore than either Cars 2 or Brave.

Winnie the Pooh is very underrated. I am pissed it only made 26M on the box office. 

• Like 2

Winnie the Pooh is very underrated. I am pissed it only made 26M on the box office. 

Apparently that was in line with expectations. It's very strange for a feature animation release, because it was so muted, almost like it was deliberately done for the ancillary markets. I'd expect that more of DisneyToons (which had done the previous Pooh movies: Tigger, Piglet, and Heffalump). Still, I'm glad it got made, because it did bring us some really great songs from the Lopezes and may have been the kicker to getting them the job for Frozen.

Edited by DamienRoc

Wow it can go that high?! I was thinking a finish around 130M. I do though low ball films though. 

It'll be at about 110 by the end of the weekend.  130 is the floor imo.

• Like 2

Wednesday number puts Frozen on target for 354M (~138% ahead of Tangled's OD multiplier). 44% is the goal for DM2, it should jump over 40% this weekend. 56% is the target for 40M.

Edited by spizzer
  • Like 3

Where I live in Virginia, some schools go back today, some don't. My sister and her husband are teachers in different cities with two kids, one in preschool, so the four of them are all in different school districts. One parent and kid had to go back today, the other two start back on Monday. The numbers today will be a lot better than next Thursday's numbers.

I see that Frozen has increased showtimes in a lot of places.  Would they do the same for CF?

Possibly, though not to the same scale, more likely theaters will keep it a few more weeks while they move on from the Christmas dead weight really fast.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

Wednesday number puts Frozen on target for 354M (~138% ahead of Tangled's OD multiplier). 44% is the goal for DM2, it should jump over 40% this weekend. 56% is the target for 40M.

I think it goes way past 350.  

• Like 3

• Founder / Operator

I think it goes way past 350.  

I think you may be right. I won't be surprised if it gets close to $375m. LEGO might be the only thing stopping it, but this thing's a juggernaut.

• Like 4