Lordmandeep

How many and What Kind of Theaters in the place where you live?

I live in a place called Brampton, suburb of Toronto of 523,911.

There are two theaters.

One is megaplex with 16 screens and attracts family crowds during the day and young people at night.

The other is a smaller theater with 8 screens and attracts mostly family crowds.

I ask this because I realize here in Canada there are very few theaters around me.

• Like 1

Carmike Cinemas 9 ... 9 screens (5 larger auditoriums, 4 smaller ones)

Capitol Theater (oldest theater in town, been around since 1927 ... 1 screen (open from September to March with a 7pm showing each night) brings in a different art house film or Oscar style contender every week.  This week it's Dallas Buyers Club.

Posted Image

That's it. :)

Edited by Adam
  • Like 1

Town I live in has 2. One is a tiny little independent cinema with about 40 of the most uncomfortable seats I've ever Sat in. They usually show more obscure stuff than a multiplex. The other is a 4 screen odeon, boat chain in the country when it comes to locations. It shows all main releases, but is pretty questionable beyond that, such as choosing bride wars over slumdog millionaire, never showing silver linings playbook and only having one screen for Skyfall when the nearest competitor had it on 5 out of 6 on opening weekend.

I live in Rogers, MN population of 11,00 I have 6 theaters with in 15 miles

Rogers Muller 18 decent and very cheap $7 tickets and $5 matinee

Elk River Marcus Theater 17 cheap $7 but out dated and old.

Monticello Mulller 15  same as the first theater.

AMC Arbor Lakes  16 (Maple Grove, MN) Nice theater, busy, expensive and has a liemax

Champlain Mann Theater 15 mid range ticket price and very good pop corn. 

Andover Theater (never been to this one)

Plymouth Mann  old and outdate not that big of screens some times play limited releases. 

Its interesting it appears the monopoly in Canada has really lowed the number of theaters around me.

We're kinda similar here. There's three main chains in the UK, Odeon, Vue and Cineworld (my personal favourite as you get unlimited movies for £15.90 per month). Then you have a couple of smaller chains in showcase and empire, followed by the indies. Outside of London you'll only see 2 or 3 cinemas per City at an absolute most.. Edited by Schumacher FTW

2 Theaters

Elmira Heights Theater is the closest to me but its a second run theater. 1 Screen so you never know a movie is going to be playing there.

Regal Arnot Mall is the other theater. 10 Screen theater and the only place to catch first run movies. Its nothing special but its not bad either.

During the summer we have a drive-in theater that has 2 screens. Its a good throwback theater and cost 8 bucks instead of 10.50 for Regal.

one lousy theatre with 7 screens (2 auditoriums and 5 regular ones) on a tiny island in the middle of nowhere caribbean pfff

its 7.25$ now a decade ago it use to be 5$

its ok in sense most movies come out same day as the US big openers mostly , but if you're like me and you want to see independant films or more artsy films that cater to awards circuit 

you're screwed 

this oscar season best pic noms played here 

captain phillips / gravity / WoWS  so far and american hustle in february 

best animated : frozen dm2 the croods

other films nominated in other categories :

prisoners / the great gatsby / jackass presents bad grandpa / the lone ranger / the book thief

hobbit 2 / star trek into darkness / iron man 3

Edited by ladyevenstar22

The closest to me is the 3 screen Greater Union Wollongong in the CBD. It's over 30 years old but was refurbished and updated to digital a couple of years ago. I'll sometimes see comedies or dramas there but not big blockbusters.

The Regent theatre is an old style 1600 seat single screen theatre opened in 1957 and still in original condition but it stopped showing films in 2004 when the owner died. It's now used as a Pentecostal Church. It was an awesome place when packed with a big crowd. I saw midnight screenings of ID4 and the Star Wars OT re-release there. It's also in the Wollongong CBD.

Posted Image

Further away is a 6 screen Hoyts at Westfield Warrawong. It was built in the late 80's and also updated recently. I don't like the layout and never go there. Across the road from the Westfield is the 2 screen Gala. The main theatre is the balcony area of the old Odeon Theatre and seats 500. The is second smaller 100 seat theatre.

The most modern theatre in my are is the 8 screen Greater Union at Shellharbour. It's about 20km away and it's the theatre I usually use. It has bigger screens, comfortable seats and the best layout.

Wollongong has a population of about 300,000. None of the theatres have an IMAX, VMAX or Gold Class.

I'll sometimes see films at Event Cinemas George St or the IMAX at Darling Harbour. Both in the Sydney CBD.

Edited by DeeCee

There's several. I see the bulk of my movies at the three closest, which are in easy walking distance.

AMC Pacific Place 11

Regal Meridian 16

The interesting thing is that these two are two blocks apart and they never compete on films. A new release will show up at one or the other, but not both. I prefer the AMC slightly, especially since they do super cheap pre-noon matinees.

Cinerama

Huge screen, great tech. Probably my favorite place to see a movie. they also have chocolate popcorn, which is the only snack I ever get at movies.

There's a couple other theaters close by I've never been to. One is called a Movie Lounge, so I think it's one of those dinner and a show dealies.

Somewhat further away is a real IMAX screen, which I try to go to for anything that actually uses IMAX footage. The Cinerama tends to look better otherwise, though, and is cheaper.

And extending out from there are a couple that tend to do indie cinema and film festival stuff.

One Showcase multiplex in a mall with 16 screens and an IMAX, and then a 75-year-old arthouse theatre located near the Brown campus.

I definitely miss Portland, where there are approximately six billion theatres in the full metro area.

Edited by Webslinger

A 4-screen Empire (large-ish chain) in my town which is quite nice but it's small size and will to try and take everything new on means films are rarely shown for long. A recent example being Frozen taken out for... 47 Ronin. 

A 6-screen Odeon (big chain) about 10 minutes away which I went to a lot when I was younger but I'm not a fan of now due it NEVER BEING LOUD ENOUGH EVER. And being pretty yucky. 

Nowadays whenever I'm having an off-day I usually make a day of going to the cinema by going into the city and going to a nice Vue or independent and taking in 2 or 3 films. Big news for next year is we're getting a new 9-screen Vue just down the road from me which will make movie-going life lovely indeed, they're easily my favourite multiplex chain. All the ones I've been to have been far nicer than rival chains, as well as having awesome sound and bigger screens. 

Edited by Dan9

3 Marcus theaters and one AMC. Nobody goes to the AMC theater cuz it is in a mall. Plus the Marcus theaters are nicer, cheaper, and have the Ultra Screens.

And the Oriental and Landmark for your more arty films