Gopher

Count Down 100 Movies from 2013 (Multiple users) Tele page 20

No surprise at all. :lol:

1. The Wolf of Wall Street

Scorsese nails it. This is a tour-de-force black comedy, volcanically energetic. It grags you from the first frame and doesn’t let go until three hours later. This is not the direction of an elder statesman, it’s edgy, in your face, demanding your attention — the work of a young talent that’s forcing his way onto the movie scene…. except, of course, Scorsese is in his 70s. Somehow he still retains the artistic appetite of a man thirty to forty years younger. Perhaps it’s due in part to DiCaprio, who’s become Scorsese’s muse in recent years and gives the performance of a generation here. He’s onscreen almost every moment of these 180 minutes and he’s never less than riveting. You could potentially nitpick whether the movie absolutely HAD to be three hours, but its highs are so high (and consistent) that it seems absurd to complain much. This is Scorsese’s best film since GOODFELLAS, and that’s saying something.
Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 9

So three of us have Wolf as the best of the year.  Fuck the Oscars.  This is where it's at, right here, right now.   :)

If the Wolf of Wall Street came out last year it would have been my number 1, hell if any of my top 6 came out last year they would have been my number 1, wow is this year stacked (and I thought last year was good).

2. All is Lost

This is filmmaking at its simplest, purest, and most essential. It’s very nearly a silent movie, with only a handful of voice-over lines at the beginning, a brief distress call partway through, and one iconic, screamed line that’s pitch-perfect. Without dialogue to drive our understanding of the main character (simply credited as “Our Man”) we’re forced to carefully focus on visual information, and it’s surprising how complete an understanding we have of him at the end. This is a man who’s lived a successful life, someone who’s used to taking charge and having things done the way he wants. Someone who values his time alone, yet clearly has a family of sorts back home. He’s pragmatic, confident, and skilled (albeit clearly an amateur, not a professional sailer). Yet nature slowly strips all of that away from, until the end — despite all his skills at survival, he’s on the brink of death. Will he deal with that total moment the same way he did with his various accidents and turmoil? Redford turns in an amazing performance, the direction by J.C. Chandor is assured and confident and nigh-brilliant. This is the movie you want to see if you thought GRAVITY was aimed too much at mainstream audiences.

Ooh this just become my favorite movie of the year a week ago after seen it. DAMN i LOVE every bit of it. 

• Like 1