grim22

Weekend Estimates: LS - 38.5M | FZ - 15.1M | WoWS - 9M | Hercules - 8.6M | AH - 8.6M | Her - 5.4M

To be fair, it was in limited release for three weeks and received a ton of awards buzz in the process. One could argue it might have opened better next weekend, the day after (very likely) receiving a BP nom, but there's already four other movies opening wide next weekend, and maybe just as many expanding after the nominations. Not sure there's a scenario in which it could have made substantially more money than it's gonna make at this point, but on the bright side, it'll probably have a great hold next weekend and eventually leg its way to $25m DOM or so. 

I just think going from 47 to 1729 theaters was way too much of a jump, especially all at once, Her seems like something that would max out at 800 theaters, if that.

• Like 1

I think you will resonate with Her. It's a funny, unpretentious look at love and relationships. I also think you're gonma dislike August Osage as much as I did.

I kind of want to see Osage just to see if it is as bad as it looks and I do want to see HER because MOST of the films I love this year are smaller films.  I think this might be another.  Plus, I want to see if they make my top 100 as I head into ranking my top 50.

Can someone fill me in? Why does Osage look bad to some here?

For me, it looks over acted by Streep, and I love Streep, not riczhang kind of love, but love nonetheless.  Plus the stuff they show in the trailer is just filled with cheese.  The scene where (I think it's him) Cumberbatch  cries because he missed a funeral, it just all looks so hokey.

Can someone fill me in? Why does Osage look bad to some here?

It's a movie predicated on big actors having big acting moments but ultimately becomes a series of screaming matches about melodramatic crap. It's shameless awards bait that doesn't offer anything except Big Important Oscar Moments (about drugs and shouting and morbidly comic moments that never play) for Streep, Robert, etc. Some of the worst directing of the year too. The end result is absolutely suffocating. Edited by Gopher

And it seems filled with characters that look unappealing.  So why would I want to spend 2 hours with people having dinner who seem to be unlikable?

• Like 1

It's a movie predicated on big actors having big acting moments but ultimately becomes a series of screaming matches about melodramatic crap. It's shameless awards bait that doesn't offer anything except Big Important Oscar Moments for Streep, Robert, etc. Some of the worst directing of the year too. The end result is absolutely suffocating.

Now I really have to see it.

• Like 1

Okay, baum. Buy a ticket for Her and do a double feature. :)

I can't.  I'll have to do that on Tuesday.  

Today, the timing of everything means I'll have to buy a ticket for Llewyn Davis and then see LS and Her.