Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

I wouldn't necessarily call it "revolutionary", but not only did she carry it by herself, she did it under extremely uncomfortable circumstances without the ability to play off anyone else OR the environment she's supposed to be in.

Yeah. At least Tom Hanks had a volleyball to work with.

Edited by DamienRoc

How was Bullock revolutionary? Cause she carried a movie by herself?

The way the movie was structured and the way it was filmed. It was a revolutionary performance. I suggest you look up a behinds the scene video on gravity and learn about the process. It was revolutionary and bullock was too, along with it. 

Great acting is like Couture. An undiscerning and unknowing eye can't tell the difference between a 2 grand pret-a-porter department store designer frock and a 20 grand couture jacket, but the difference is in the process and the workmanship.

Same with Bullock. Someone unfamiliar can't tell between her performance and another lesser (like uhm Delpy) who gives what from a distance looks to similarly good performances. But up close, you realise that Bullock's performance took so much more and went the extra mile, which is what makes it special to watch and truly deserving. 

Edited by riczhang
  • Like 3

I think you need to get your unknowing eyes checked. Clearly not educated enough to understand revolutionary aspects when you see them.

Posted Image

Perhaps it is time for the BOF proletariat to rise?

Posted Image

Wait....that would mean everything would be dominated by the Nolanites, WWWs, Lawsbians, and so on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zh1tqY7nNg

• Like 9

Delpy and Bullock both did great work, and to suggest the former was just "doing her schtick" for a third time is to grossly undervalue what she did. In its own way, it's a unique performance as well, because name me another actor (well, besides Hawke) who got a chance to play the same character three times over two decades and show that character naturally developing and evolving and expanding each time. Sure, it's not the first time an actor went back to a character he'd originated a decade or two before (see Newman as Eddie Felson, Pacino as Corleone, Nicholson as Jake Gittes), but it might be the best - and, in any case, a very rare - example of an actor aging with and developing a character over multiple films and decades. 

Anyway. Point is, ultimately great acting is great acting, regardless of what's involved, what's the process, and how original/"revolutionary" it is or isn't. It's also very much subjective. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1

Just some of my thoughts:No disrespect to the other 4 who were all very good in their roles, if Leo can't take the Oscar this year, he should just torch the Academy. This still young man has made so much money for Hollywood. A good proportion of Titanic's billion was due to teenage girls seeing it multiple times. Almost every movie he has made since has had good to great boxoffice. His name has carried many of them beyond the 100 million mark domestically. Very few actors can do that consistently. And if the Academy can reward Sandra and Julia for that, they can do it for Leo.He consistently turns in good to great performances. He could have gone down the easy pretty boy route with Spiderman and Anakin Skywalker but he chose a more varied, challenging and even risky road.....and he has largely made it work.His speeches, on the rare occasion he wins something, are always gracious, charming and intelligent.Go Leo!Actress - in a world where Swank has 2 best actress statuettes, goddess Cate must get her first. In any other year I'd be happy for Amy Adams but it's Cate all the way this time.Director - in a world where Tom Hooper has an Oscar but Fincher doesn't, it has to be Cuaron. Must be Cuaron..Picture - when I first saw 'Slave' I thought it would win. It is a fine film plus it ticks other boxes. It will be an admired rather than loved winner but it will win. I just wish the 'it MUST win or we're calling racism' brigade would shut up. Let the movie stand on its own merits.Then again, if Hustle sweeps, I'm ok with that too! I enjoyed it. (But it won't sweep).Very disappointed by the lack of love for 'Banks'. Deserved better.

• Like 2

i knew i should have downloaded that darn screener for 12 yrs when i saw it but i wanted to see it on the big screen and my f*****g theatre has yet to show it and per new movies coming this month and in february its not scheduled at all but blahhhh AH is for february 

and now i can't find the screener its been removed ughhhh all 48 torrents lollllllll

life sucks for a poor cinephile -_-

so far i have yet to see 12YAS , philomena, captain phillips and nebraska 

so order of preference of the 5 i have seen in the best picture race is

1- her

2- wolf of wall street

3-dallas buyers club

4-gravity

5-american hustle

i knew i should have downloaded that darn screener for 12 yrs when i saw it but i wanted to see it on the big screen and my f*****g theatre has yet to show it and per new movies coming this month and in february its not scheduled at all but blahhhh AH is for february 

and now i can't find the screener its been removed ughhhh all 48 torrents lollllllll

life sucks for a poor cinephile -_-

so far i have yet to see 12YAS , philomena, captain phillips and nebraska 

so order of preference of the 5 i have seen in the best picture race is

1- her

2- wolf of wall street

3-dallas buyers club

4-gravity

5-american hustle

The screener hasn't been removed. Both 12 Years a Slave and American Hustle are still up on the web.

The objective truth is that people like Berenice Bejo and Adele Exarchopoulos and Julie Delpy were all better. 

The odds of getting nominated are minimal if you are not backed by a major studio, an independent branch of a major studio or a powerhouse distributor like TWC so Adele didn't have much of a chance. The Past failed to take off in the US so Bejo didn't get in and Academy hasn't ever given a fuck about Linklater's movies (outside of his scripts) so Delpy was DOA.