Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

It didn't win best screenplay though (wasn't even nominated), and imo that is the movie's big weakness. 12YAS fires on all cylinders while Gravity's screenplay falters.

But that was my whole point. Film is more than a screenplay or a story.....the fact that gravity is so engaging despite a weak plot speaks volumes about how well crafted this film was.

But that was my whole point. Film is more than a screenplay or a story.....the fact that gravity is so engaging despite a weak plot speaks volumes about how well crafted this film was.

But it's still not "best picture". Between two engaging films, I'll go with the one that has a better story. Even if it may not be as flashy or innovative, it's still a better movie.

• Like 1

Not slavery my friend.. This is symbolic of how Oscars has changed. Same way they didnt want to give Densil Best actor for Malcom Ex because it covered a time , most of the film world wants to sweep into relative obcurity. They also dont want to give Spike Lee the nods he deserves. Then yrs later they give Densil  for a far weaker filmTraining Day.

Seems there are much more diversed folks in the oscar regime now.. No one thought they would give a serious dramactic slave movie its just deserts. Check the talks on the web.

Im very proud of all the team involved with 12yrs of the slave and at the oscar committee for truly giving the most moving film and with an incredible look at the darkest hours of history and what its all about the win.

Posted Image

Great post, Kal.

• Like 1

btw, big congrats and props to John Ridley for coming out of a background in comedy and multi-cam sitcoms. All hail the Academy Award-winning writer of UNDERCOVER BROTHER!

And a hometown boy to boot.
  • Like 1

But it's still not "best picture". Between two engaging films, I'll go with the one that has a better story. Even if it may not be as flashy or innovative, it's still a better movie.

But that seems like youre judging the films strictly off of the screenplay....which is what the best adapted/original screenplay category is for. Best film is how those words translate to screen....which is where gravity is far superior.
  • Like 1

NASA no longer operates the space shuttle. The last mission (a few years ago) was STS-137 (I think, or 138). The shuttle mission in GRAVITY is STS-157. In other words, it's set a few years into the future, in a reality where the NASA shuttle missions are still active. By definition, that's an alternate reality. Furthermore, the Chinese space station is shown as being a finished, complete product. Right now, the Chinese space station isn't even built, it's in the very early stages of getting put together. It's supposed to be finished in the 2020s.

I posted this a couple times way back when it first came out, so apologies to anyone who already knows this. :P

isn't all films (except the ones based in real life events) set in an alternate reality? 

• Like 1

But that seems like youre judging the films strictly off of the screenplay....which is what the best adapted/original screenplay category is for. Best film is how those words translate to screen....which is where gravity is far superior.

I didn't have any moments during 12YAS where I went "Ugh, really?", which is about the reaction I had when Clooney showed up again near the end of Gravity. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Not only was it shocking to hear about Ramis, but just to hear that he was pushing 70 years old also shocked me. It's hard to get out of my mind the mental picture of him from 80's movies like Stripes and Ghostbusters. Time just goes by way too fast.

Yes sir thats why make a journal and go over everything you grateful for at least 10 times good buddy. I find looking back over my journal always brings me joys and makes time flow a lil slower, also load up dvds, brs of all your favorite old and new  films, tv shows movies you can get your hands at ..And slow have them for easy view where you can reach them at any time.. When your movie collection incooperates so many genres as well. You will feel far more less older and can rejuvenate yourself by watching films

up to 50 yrs older than you or a tv show. I was watching old Superman 1950s episodes and I dream of Jeanie and man I felt young again  for example :) lol

And yes indeed , man another icon of our childhood Red passes on and wasnt even that old. I bawled like a baby when John Ritter of Threes company, and so many other shows and films died and was only in his early 50s :(..So crazy, but man Im certainly going to watch Ghostbusters I this week and Stealing home to rem Harold Ramis at his finest and we can go back to those memories..It almost feels like he has never gone or is still here at some capacity.

Didnt even know he had an autoimmune disease.So sad, I rem I was so shocked too when Bernie Mac up and died after his career was just busting out..

Lordy...Harold and Shirley passing makes us all appreciate life and yep realize to live it baby as time waits for no] one, but lets make sure we wont be walking into the light anytime soon by staying stress free, reading up on health good buddy and always staying happy 90% of the time . :)

I feel so bad for Ramis's family. He was so excited and full of life and was going to do GB3 and some other projects. I think included Anger Management 2 perhaps at the time of his passing. Im not sure if I Want a GB 3 without Egon now. :(

• Like 4