Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

Clone there has never been a serious film dealin with slavery or with black filmmakers that the oscars have given best picture too in all of its 86s years...Are you kidding man??  lol

Yes, but lots of serious films on serious subjects have won in the past. This film released any year would have won BP. It is pure Oscar bait.

Except doesn't all of the technology used in the movie actually exist? I could be wrong about this, but I didn't see how it was even science fiction. I thought of it more as a thriller set in space. 

I agree with you Jawa.. Gravity does not quite fully qualify as a sci-fi. Its all existing technology.. There is no real futuristic technology element, aliens or things we cant do today. Its a thriller drama in my eyes as well.

His antics on the stage won't help him in the future with the BD category, lol. He acted like a fucking clown tonight.

I don't think so... I think he was just happy and excited. He seems so formal and buttoned down in general, it was fun to see him lighten up. How is this different than Danny Boyle Tigger-ing his way to the mic?

• Like 5

• Community Manager

Except doesn't all of the technology used in the movie actually exist? I could be wrong about this, but I didn't see how it was even science fiction. I thought of it more as a thriller set in space. 

Just because the technology exists doesn't make it any less science fiction. If anything, a lot of science fiction stories use technology that already exists.

According to wiki:

Science fiction is a genre of fiction dealing with imaginative content such as futuristic settings, futuristic science and technology, space travel, time travel, parallel universes, and extraterrestrial life

Gravity dealt with space travel. It therefore counts as science fiction. ;)

• Like 2

I gotta say, this was one of the better Oscar ceremonies I've seen. Ellen was funny, the speeches were bearable, the graphic artistry that went into the nominee presentations were terrific, and they got just about every category right.

• Like 5

Science is very much a part of the construction of the story. Kessler syndrome hasn't actually happened, despite a lot of math to support that it could. Ergo, it's science fiction.

I was actually disappointed in Gatsby, not because it didn't match the era or wasn't true to the book (which I haven't read), but because after the "so bad it's good" duumvirate of Romeo + Juliet and Moulin Rouge, I was expecting a lot more off the wall batshit insanity than what we got.

I don't think so... I think he was just happy and excited. He seems so formal and buttoned down in general, it was fun to see him lighten up. How is this different than Danny Boyle Tigger-ing his way to the mic?

Danny Boyle had just won BD, right? So he doesn't have to worry about it costing him in the future. :P

• Like 1

Okay, let's predict this mother

BEST PICTURE: 12 Years a Slave

BEST DIRECTOR: Alfonso Cuaron - Gravity

BEST ACTOR: Matthew McConaghey - Dallas Buyers Club

BEST ACTRESS: Cate Blanchett - Blue Jasmine

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Spike Jonze - Her

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: John Ridley - 12 Years a Slave

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Jared Leto - Dallas Buyers Club

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Lupita N'yongo - 12 Years a Slave

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: Emmanuel Lubezki - Gravity

BEST EDITING: Gravity

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE: Gravity

BEST SOUND MIXING: Gravity

BEST SOUND EDITING: Gravity

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS: Gravity

BEST MAKEUP: Dallas Buyers Club

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN: The Great Gatsby

BEST COSTUMES: The Great Gatsby

BEST ORIGINAL SONG: "Let It Go" - Frozen

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE: Frozen

BEST FOREIGN FILM: The Great Beauty

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT: Helium

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT: The Lady in Number 6

BEST ANIMATED SHORT: Get a Horse

I know virtually nothing about the last 4 categories (saw only The Hunt) so I basically copied riczhang's answers  :P

How unpredictable  :D (I somehow forgot about documentary, would have missed though... still 22/24)

Anyway, loving the Hustle shutout, great for Spike, Lupita and Cuaron

Nothing against the 12YAS picture win

Matt had the best speech in a while... just keep livin L-I-V-I-N  :D

• Like 1

Yeah, pretty shocking. Shirley Temple was the one that caught me off-guard. Didn't even realize she had passed. Her being alive was kind of like a security blanket, something you take for granted. We're all getting old. Fuck, 10 years ago I graduated high school. Can't believe it.

Glad I see another person posting this.. I never grew up with Shirley, but yes indeed her being alive and well was one of those childhood and life long movie fan security blankets that if someone as cool as her is doing well and thriving...The world isnt that bad at all. When someone iconic as her passes , or someone from your childhood that you have connection too, well your life suddenly feels a whole lot more mortal I think.:(

RIP Shirley Temple... You will never be forgotten for the work you did on film and as an ambassdor to millions upon millons of people.

• Like 1

NASA no longer operates the space shuttle. The last mission (a few years ago) was STS-137 (I think, or 138). The shuttle mission in GRAVITY is STS-157. In other words, it's set a few years into the future, in a reality where the NASA shuttle missions are still active. By definition, that's an alternate reality. Furthermore, the Chinese space station is shown as being a finished, complete product. Right now, the Chinese space station isn't even built, it's in the very early stages of getting put together. It's supposed to be finished in the 2020s.

I posted this a couple times way back when it first came out, so apologies to anyone who already knows this. :P

• Like 4

I'm agreeing with you but it seems "Fiction using space settings" even based on today's technology = Science Fiction defacto.

Edit: Tele hammered the nail in the coffin. My bad.

But if someone wants to make a movie drama about astronauts screwing each other while orbiting around earth today in the ISS station, will it be science fiction?

Yeah, pretty shocking. Shirley Temple was the one that caught me off-guard. Didn't even realize she had passed. Her being alive was kind of like a security blanket, something you take for granted. We're all getting old. Fuck, 10 years ago I graduated high school. Can't believe it.

The name that shocked me off guard was Elmore Leonard, I totally forgot he died last year. No matter how celebrated and legendary you are during your existence, Death still make us all mere mortals with no exception.

But the thing is we remember them and their movies is their legacy that still live after their passing conjuring mortality.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2