Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

Find me a better reason why everybody waited to spill the juicy details on this mess then.

LOL I just looked it up. I could only find a couple of lines and a bunch of speculation on the cold shoulders they gave each other.

So this is unrelated to the McQueen Ridley conversation, but still about awards season; I know I will be laughed at or criticized for having such a crazy, out there, differing opinion, but am I missing something... why was Hugh Jackman in Prisoners completely overlooked this year? The guy delivered an intense, well acted and convincing performance as a father who is dealing

with the kidnapping and potential murder of his daughter

I was thoroughly convinced of his performance. I felt his pain and saw why the man was acting the way he did. 

I am not saying that the folks who were nominated weren't deserving by any means, but the guy was completely overlooked without a single mention of his performance at all around awards time. Let's forget the nomination, his name wasn't even in the running or in talks when nominations were being whispered about. Am I missing something? Or was I just too caught up in the movie?

Edited by Letsuseournoggin
  • Like 1

So this is unrelated to the McQueen Ridley conversation, but still about awards season; I know I will be laughed at or criticized for having such a crazy, out there, differing opinion, but am I missing something... why was Hugh Jackman in Prisoners completely overlooked this year? The guy delivered an intense, well acted and convincing performance as a father who is dealing

with the kidnapping and potential murder of his daughter

I was thoroughly convinced of his performance. I felt his pain and saw why the man was acting the way he did. 

I am not saying that the folks who were nominated weren't deserving by any means, but the guy was completely overlooked without a single mention of his performance at all around awards time. Let's forget the nomination, his name wasn't even in the running or in talks when nominations were being whispered about. Am I missing something? Or was I just too caught up in the movie?

His performance was good, but it wasn't that memorable (imo). I think another issue is when that film was released. By the time Oscar season had come around, most of the hype for Prisoners had died down. That means that people had forgotten about the quality of its performances, direction, and so forth. Then you get all of these Oscar movies that take the spotlight. The only hope for Prisoners to get nominated for any categories was if people started pushing it for BP and then its performers rode on the coattails of that nomination. But that didn't happen, and so everyone was shut out.

His performance was good, but it wasn't that memorable (imo). I think another issue is when that film was released. By the time Oscar season had come around, most of the hype for Prisoners had died down. That means that people had forgotten about the quality of its performances, direction, and so forth. Then you get all of these Oscar movies that take the spotlight. The only hope for Prisoners to get nominated for any categories was if people started pushing it for BP and then its performers rode on the coattails of that nomination. But that didn't happen, and so everyone was shut out.

And that is why the oscars are and always will be...a joke.  A great performance is a great performance whether it's in March or December.  

• Like 3

And that is why the oscars are and always will be...a joke.  A great performance is a great performance whether it's in March or December.  

Couldn't agree more. The Academy has some ridiculous ways of judging things. One article spoke about how some members weren't going to vote DiCaprio for BA because they didn't like his character. I told my dad this (and he isn't even a movie fan) and he goes: that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. The Oscars is nice and fun, but it isn't really a fair way of judging the best.

Well the shorts killed me in the Oscar game, though I did predict Helium on the blank Oscar ballot :lol:And I had Gatsby at number 4 on production design due to how I remember people saying that it would go to either Slave, Gravity or Hustle :lol:

It's not even that juicy of a story. At the end of the day, they just decided not to thank each other....OH NO!!!!!!!!!!! 

I don't even know why this is a story. Does it erase 12 Years A Slave's qualities? Does it change the fact that it is a harrowing movie that deserved all those accolades? Absolutely not. This is not Black Swan's pathetic attempt to slip the VFX crew and the ABT ballerina under the rug to let Natalie Portman having all the dancing congratulations and merits that helped her winning her Oscar.

And if you read across the lines, you'll get that Fox Searchlights sided with Ridley to shun out McQueen of any writing credits of his own movie (based on a book Ridley didn't write) then told both to shut up about those shenanigans. That makes McQueen even looking more like a true unsung author to the Academy.

Edited by dashrendar44