ecstasy

WKD 3 Day Est. RA 41.2m, LS 23.2m, NJ 20.5, JR 17.2, FRZ 11.9

The Hunger Games Catching Fire bigger WW than The Hobbit DOS?

Wow I would never imagined that. I thought DOS would be closing in on a billion. Did the overseas markets not show any growth?

The Hunger Games Catching Fire bigger WW than The Hobbit DOS?Wow I would never imagined that. I thought DOS would be closing in on a billion. Did the overseas markets not show any growth?

DOS still has yet to open in China and Japan. It's aiming for about 950m ww
  • Like 1

What are the basing the Monday estimates on? It's 10am pst. Are they basing it on past year increases?

I don't know. I thought they came from the studios. But AH number seemed off. 10.6 3-day and 11.5 4-day. But just saw on BOM they adjusted the 3-day down.

The Hunger Games Catching Fire bigger WW than The Hobbit DOS?

Wow I would never imagined that. I thought DOS would be closing in on a billion. Did the overseas markets not show any growth?

DOS has not been released yet in China or Japan!

Edited by efialtes76

I don't know. I thought they came from the studios. But AH number seemed off. 10.6 3-day and 11.5 4-day. But just saw on BOM they adjusted the 3-day down.

I guess they do but I was just wondering how they came up with the estimate. Considering school is out today I was thinking Frozen and Nut Job would have a pretty nice box office haul today.

Edited by ECSTASY

I guess they do but I was just wondering how they came up with the estimate. Considering school is out today I was thinking Frozen and Nut Job would have a pretty nice box office haul today.

I guess studios base it on past performances but can be off. Frozen, after Sunday adjusted down by 100K, looks to be up by 10%. Also, RTH was spot on again and NJ was adjusted down by about a third, and estimated to be flat.

Considering that Jack Reacher, which had a 218m WW gross against a 60m budget and a far more bankable star, is not getting a sequel, making only 120-130m WW pretty much kills the Jack Ryan reboot attempt in the crib.

The Jack Reacher sequel is in the starting stages of development at Paramount actually

Paramount Pictures and Skydance Prods. are re-teaming to develop a sequel to Tom Cruise’s “Jack Reacher,” based on the series of Lee Child novels.

The project is based on “Never Go Back,” published in September as Child’s 18th book in the series, in which Reacher heads to the Virginia headquarters of his old military unit and is arrested for a crime he doesn’t remember committing 16 years earlier.

• Like 2

Do we have a list of movies with SB teasers this year? SB is in 2 weeks and the price for a space is $4M this year. Anything to expect other than TF4?

Disney have bought one spot - it will decide between Need For Speed, Cap 2, or maybe Guardians of the Galaxy (which may not be the case as the release is in August)

Transformers 4 will debut

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is getting a teaser

And Divergent will get one during the pre-show, not during the game itself.

Disney have bought one spot - it will decide between Need For Speed, Cap 2, or maybe Guardians of the Galaxy (which may not be the case as the release is in August)

If Disney only bought one spot, I seriously think it'll be for Maleficient considering how they are with marketing of their own live actions. 

surprised Disney only bought one spot. I would think they would get three like last year where they promoted Oz, Iron Man 3 and Lone Ranger. Was thinking they would do Cap 2, Maleficant and GOTG

If Disney only bought one spot, I seriously think it'll be for Maleficient considering how they are with marketing of their own live actions. 

Here was Deadline's report a month ago when all ad inventory was sold out

So far, four studios have bought in — not to say they can’t buy ad inventory later on. That’s down from 2011, when there were eight buy-ins at the beginning, and steady from last year when Universal, Disney, Paramount and Summit advertised during the Super Bowl.

Last year, Disney bought in big and promoted Oz  The Great and Powerful andThe Lone Ranger. This year, the studio bought one 30-second spot and said it has not yet decided which movie to advertise. One possibility is the Aaron Paul-starring Need for Speed, based on the highly successful racing video game franchise. The pic bows with all its testosterone revving a month-plus after the Super Bowl on March 14.

Last year, Paramount snuck trailers for Star Trek Into Darkness and World War Z. This year, It  bought one :30 spot and will use it to debut the first footage from its highly anticipated Megatron sequel Transformers: Age of Extinction. Thanks to director Michael Bay for spilling those beans.

And not to be outdone, Sony will use the Super Bowl to advertise its rebooted superhero franchise installment The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which will open in May in IMAX 3D and conventional theaters.

Warner Bros. made no buy. Also, this year, Lionsgate bought a spot in the Super Bowl pregame show — but no word on what it will advertise as yet.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

surprised Disney only bought one spot. I would think they would get three like last year where they promoted Oz, Iron Man 3 and Lone Ranger. Was thinking they would do Cap 2, Maleficant and GOTG

I think probably the prices increasing to around 4 Million - 4.5 Million for 30 seconds, a lot of studios are rethinking whether it provides sufficient returns or not. Also, Transformers 4 pretty much has the "most buzzed teaser" spot since it is the first footage debut. 

Posted Image

I think studios which release movies in Summer may look to the NBA finals for a better return on investment, since those are closer to movie release and have half or a quarter of the audience of the Superbowl, but ads will remain fresher in people's memory.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1