ecstasy

WKD 3 Day Est. RA 41.2m, LS 23.2m, NJ 20.5, JR 17.2, FRZ 11.9

If Disney only bought one spot, I seriously think it'll be for Maleficient considering how they are with marketing of their own live actions. 

If what they plan on showing is anything like that trailer last week, then it's a waste of $4 million. Even if everyone would see it anyway I still think CA2 would be a better investment.

• Like 1

I think probably the prices increasing to around 4 Million - 4.5 Million for 30 seconds, a lot of studios are rethinking whether it provides sufficient returns or not. Also, Transformers 4 pretty much has the "most buzzed teaser" spot since it is the first footage debut. 

Posted Image

I think studios which release movies in Summer may look to the NBA finals for a better return on investment, since those are closer to movie release and have half or a quarter of the audience of the Superbowl, but ads will remain fresher in people's memory.

I doubt it.  There are what 80-100m people that will watch the super bowl every year?  It is also the one sporting event where people are trained to NOT skip commercials.  

One game, 100m people. $4m is a lot, but you are reaching way more people than you would in the NBA Finals.

Superbowl should only be used for movies coming out until the end of March/beginning of April.

Disney should have bought two: Need for Speed (it desperately needs one) and Captain America 2.

Lionsgate is repeating the strategy that they used with THG, so that spot is definitely for Divergent.

Sony bought for Amazing Spider-Man 2, because desperate people do stupid stuff. It is their only franchise and they needed to do well. But I don't see the need of a spot for a movie that only comes out in May. Robocop or Pompeii (or both) would be a much better use of that 30 seconds.

Paramount... TF4... makes sense. Because it is the first footage of the movie. If it wasn't, I would say fuck it.

WB as usual, not buying any of that crap (300 totally needed one, but whatever, it is WB, fuck them :lol: )

FOX is probably still thinking about it.

Universal doesn't have any big movies coming out. They usually use it for their big February release. They have none this year aimed at the Superbowl audience. There is also no F&F.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

Odd question, but it's it possible for a studio to buy air time for the big game, but keep it under wraps so they can surprise?

Almost impossible, but we may have some surprises in the pre-show.

Even in Portugal it is bigger from year to year. I also can't wait. It is always a fun day over here. I need to speak with other mods, but hopefully we can put the SuperBowl thread in the main forum on that day :P

• Like 1

If what they plan on showing is anything like that trailer last week, then it's a waste of $4 million. Even if everyone would see it anyway I still think CA2 would be a better investment.

Well, I would hope so, but I'm not holding my breath. Disney spend way more money on Superbowl spots for John Carter, Lone Ranger, and Oz as compare to Avengers or Iron Man 3 anyway, so giving the only spot to Maleficent wouldn't surprise me.

Though like the article grim posted said, they can always purchase more later, there's just one confirmed.

Avengers had a really great Super Bowl spot. One of my favorites of all time. Just seeing Captain America and Iron Man recognize each other was enough to seal it for me.

That single scene somehow became a thing of sexual tension on Tumblr and even more popular than the circle shot, it was hilarious.

That single scene somehow became a thing of sexual tension on Tumblr and even more popular than the circle shot, it was hilarious.

I never knew that, yet I'm not surprised.

God dammit Tumblr.

• Like 1

It's tradition at this point that Disney gives their inevitable flops awkwardly long spots and the Marvel films really short ones

It's tradition at this point that Disney gives their inevitable flops awkwardly long spots and the Marvel films really short ones

And this is why Need for Speed will have a spot :lol: