Walt Disney

You know you're a hardcore movie fan when.....

this reminds me of 2003 when I was in 7th grade. My teacher said an assignment was due on Monday December 17. I immediately raised my hand and told her it was a Wednesday because that is when Return of the King opened

Yeah and 19th was fellowship and 18th was the two towers. I remember this because my birthday was on the 18th, a great date for movies.
  • Like 1

That's The Law of Bladder Control. Your bladder is the true test of whether or not a movie is entertaining.

My bladder is hardcore for sitting through the entirety of The Wolf of Wall Street without having to go to the bathroom and loving every minute.

• Like 3

When you know that producers have certain actors that are in many of their movies, and not the big name actors, but the bit players.  Two directors/producers famous for this in my world were Joel Silver and John Hughes.  I could watch any of their films from the 70s and 80's and there would be so many of the same faces that would show up in their films.  John Hughes cast John Candy in pretty much everything for a time.  Films like Home Alone, The Great Outdoors, Career Opportunities and many others.  But he also had many of the same bit players.  Just a few examples would be that he cast the grandparents from Weird Science in films like Home Alone and Sixteen Candles, and he did it with so many other actors.  I would never know their names, but I'd recognize their face.

Joel Silver was famous for it too.  He did it with Bill Paxton at the beginning of his career when he gave him roles in Weird Science and then a 1 minute role in Commando.  He did it with Sonny Landham with films like 48 Hours, Warriors and Predator and then there were actors that I didn't know their names, but they just show up in every film he did.  A huge example of this was Endo from Lethal; Weapon.  I'm looking up his name right now (because I really don't know it). It's Al Leong.  He had tiny roles in Silver films like Lethal Weapon, Die Hard and Action Jackson.  Actors like Ed O' Ross were similarly cast in a few Silver films.

This is above the usual loyalty big directors have with big names.  But for fun, even though I know the general public also knows this but maybe not to the extent we do, here are some others I have noticed.

Bill Paxton and Michael Biehn were both in numerous James Cameron films.  Even Lance Henriksen and Jeannette Goldstein were in films he directed and produced, like Near Dark.  

Michael Bay also seems to have a loyal base of actors who will work with him again as we have seen with Ed Harris, Ben Affleck, Jon Voight and Mark Wahlberg.  Yes, most people who watch film know who these actors are but they might not know that they worked with a certain director on numerous occasions.  

I'm sure there are other actors that are cast in films by certain directors.  I don't know them now but as a teenager, I used to notice it all the time. 

Edited by Christmas baumer
  • Like 1

Appreciating the work of a good foley artist.

What's a foley artist?  Seriously, there are so many terms on a film set that I don't know, without looking them up.

When you know that producers have certain actors that are in many of their movies, and not the big name actors, but the bit players. Two directors/producers famous for this in my world were Joel Silver and John Hughes. I could watch any of their films from the 70s and 80's and there would be so many of the same faces that would show up in their films. John Hughes cast John Candy in pretty much everything for a time. Films like Home Alone, The Great Outdoors, Career Opportunities and many others. But he also had many of the same bit players. Just a few examples would be that he cast the grandparents from Weird Science in films like Home Alone and Sixteen Candles, and he did it with so many other actors. I would never know their names, but I'd recognize their face.Joel Silver was famous for it too. He did it with Bill Paxton at the beginning of his career when he gave him roles in Weird Science and then a 1 minute role in Commando. He did it with Sonny Landham with films like 48 Hours, Warriors and Predator and then there were actors that I didn't know their names, but they just show up in every film he did. A huge example of this was Endo from Lethal; Weapon. I'm looking up his name right now (because I really don't know it). It's Al Leong. He had tiny roles in Silver films like Lethal Weapon, Die Hard and Action Jackson. Actors like Ed O' Ross were similarly cast in a few Silver films.This is above the usual loyalty big directors have with big names. But for fun, even though I know the general public also knows this but maybe not to the extent we do, here are some others I have noticed.Bill Paxton and Michael Biehn were both in numerous James Cameron films. Even Lance Henriksen and Jeannette Goldstein were in films he directed and produced, like Near Dark. Michael Bay also seems to have a loyal base of actors who will work with him again as we have seen with Ed Harris, Ben Affleck, Jon Voight and Mark Wahlberg. Yes, most people who watch film know who these actors are but they might not know that they worked with a certain director on numerous occasions. I'm sure there are other actors that are cast in films by certain directors. I don't know them now but as a teenager, I used to notice it all the time.

Affleck has been in quite a few Kevin Smith films, sane with Jason Lee.
  • Like 1

What's a foley artist? Seriously, there are so many terms on a film set that I don't know, without looking them up.

The person who creates the ambient sounds to be added back into the film. Footsteps, doors creaking, horses galloping etchttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpdNPsUnDqUIt was developed by Jack Foley. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Foley_(sound_effects) Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 4

about the bladder situation, knowing when to take a bathroom break during a 3hrs film

this of course only applies if you're seeing same film multiple times , for the hobbit 2 it was the scene where bard approaches his boat to old town through a mist on the lake and the dwarves see the misty mountain , haul arse flash style and back as they come out of barrel full of fishes 

catching a movie on tv and knowing who is the director , most directors hand print is all over their film 

also seeing a movie and knowing the title just by seeing the actors in it esp when you've never seen  the film

watching entire filmography of certain actors even their more obscure works 

number one for me would be spending 3 to 4 hrs a day easy on a movie forum like this one here!

lets face it we're not your usual moviegoer just by being here , and squabbling all day about our opinions on this or that 

i have to say i do value our members film opinions more than regular people in my real life just as much as sometimes i strongly disagree with them