grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

6 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

Who could probably assuredly be called a box office draw? Denzel. His movie brand is pretty well cemented at this point, but most of his films pretty much come down to him as a selling point. They don't achieve huge blockbuster status, but there's a consistency in his performance that's long lasting and enviable. Tom Cruise might also still be, but he's not at the heights he once was, outside of his go-to franchise.

That would depend of your definition of draw (they are never the sole reason of a movie success you build your drawing success mostly by an audience that follow you because of your movie choice, otherwise they would not need a real movie at all, just do like Elvis Presley or John Wayne B western movie back in the day when that was true with a 1-2 million production and them in it).

If movies can be making significantly more because of your presence your are a box office draw imo.

It depend of the market (there is some draw in China, South Korea, etc...) but if talking just at the domestic market there is 2 universal draw in the sense that they could help any movie, whatever what they are playing, audience prefer seeing him playing a defender but they show for Denzel in play like Fence and it is recent but seem assuredly now DiCaprio (is last documentary he produced broke some online record of views I think to show how universal he is).

If you expend to draw in a certain genre of movie, there is a lot of them in comedy.

Kevin Hart is without a doubt a draw in comedy, him alone doing stand up that he play in theater do good box office, he is the only one that we know for sure "sole reason of some of is movie"

Dwayne Johnson in big comedy-actionner (not sure he would work in a pure serious action as well)

Melissa McCarthy

Will Ferrell

A good long list.

Tom Cruise in a Tom Cruise movie (he still openned a 37% on RT Jack Reacher 2 over 20 million after all)

Tom Hanks playing something grounded (captain Philips, Sully, etc...), he is american Baby Boomers favorite actor after all and they show 1 time a year or so for him:

http://www.theharrispoll.com/health-and-life/Tom-Hanks-Favorite-Movie-Star.html

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

I saw this over the weekend.  I agree with most here...it's underwhelming for various reasons...and made far too late to capitalize on its concept (it should have been made 15 years ago).  It's larger issue is that it's just a film that doesn't really do anything new or interesting with its ideas -- and in a need to appeal to western audiences, its original material is summarized and dumbed-down to the point of relative mediocrity.  It's got beautiful production design and location work, though, and neat little stylistic homages to the original Oshii anime -- yet he was not even credited here, as far as I could see, only the original manga writer was!

But I think this other controversy is entirely overblown, and I actually appreciate the honesty by which they approached it in the film (and yes, it does inherently damn the filmmakers themselves in an interesting way...but I didn't find it offensive). 

...But I am a white guy, so my opinion on this issue apparently doesn't matter in this argument. 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Marcus Cato said:

This story is old, it happened last year when they were shooting the film. There was a group of journalists that went to New Zealand to talk to her. This year, during the promotional tour for the film, she answered questions about whitewashing many times.

She talks about it at 1:05

The problem is that she is not the only white character in the movie, EVERY SINGLE IMPORTANT CHARACTER in the movie is white, her love interest, the main villian etc. 

My concern is that there are not many roles available for POC to begin with, and let's be honest, white people aren't hurting for representation in film or on TV, virtually every piece of media is bursting at the seams with white folks, and that is where my hate for this movie derived from. POC are not even receiving roles they are meant to have, let alone roles that are fictional or non-race/country based. 

Edited by davincicode1

8 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

The problem is that she is not the only white character in the movie, EVERY SINGLE IMPORTANT CHARACTER in the movie is white, her love interest, the main villian etc. 

My concern is that there are not many roles available for POC to begin with, and let's be honest, white people aren't hurting for representation in film or on TV, virtually every piece of media is bursting at the seams with white folks, and that is where my hate for this movie derived from. POC are not even receiving roles they are meant to have, let alone roles that are fictional or non-race/country based. 

Love interest? :thinking: 

I agree that most important characters are white, and this feels very off-putting and weird given all the rest of the movie's world... but that makes the inclusion of Beat Takeshi more interesting (and random).

5 hours ago, GirafficPark said:

Its not sexism, plenty of men are box office poison **Cough Taylor Kitsch Cough**, its just true. She gets far too much money for not being either that good, or anyone anyone cares about.

Was she responsible for Lucys inexplicable gross? I doubt it, there are plenty of other movies with her in them in a major role that fall flat.

Well, I have to disagree. ScarJo IS a draw, but she's not a draw in the sense that she can carry a film to, say, $100m by herself. Lucy was released at the right time to capitalize on her MCU success. If they had cast some other actress instead of her, would it have done as well? Perhaps, it had Morgan Freeman and a pretty compelling ad campaign, but probably not. 

She's attractive, reasonably good at acting, and does well at action roles. Even if I don't think she was the right choice for GitS, I'm assuming she did the action in it well, and it's arguable that it would have done even worse without her. If she decided to have a career as a go-to action girl, she'd probably be able to turn out a pretty consistent body of work. Maybe GitS' performance in the high teens as an opening and, presumably, a 40-50m finish would be what we'd see from ANYTHING she'd do, outside of rare exceptions. That actually wouldn't be that bad. Jason Statham has made a career of turning out action fare that does half those numbers. She wouldn't be Denzel, but she wouldn't be nothing, either.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Telerian said:

Love interest? :thinking: 

I agree that most important characters are white, and this feels very off-putting and weird given all the rest of the movie's world... but that makes the inclusion of Beat Takeshi more interesting (and random).

Love interest/side-kick/a partner in crime or whatever this Batou guy was.

I am glad you found it off-putting too, denying or trying to justify this practice is ignorant and inexcusable. Also trying to belittle the lack of representation or insinuating (like others have) that the white actors were better actors and therefore got the job is downright deceitful.

I also cannot believe that I payed 17 dollars to go and watch this pile of shit.

Edited by davincicode1

23 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

TakesiKitano.jpg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Jason Statham has made a career of turning out action fare that does half those numbers.

Statham as a rare modern home video career apparently (him and Sanders), with a good track records on renting:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2016/08/23/why-is-there-a-mechanic-sequel-jason-statham/89110234/

Has for being a potentially Box office poison, that is a strange statement imo, Lucy made over 400 million, how is it possible with a poison, she has yet to make a single movie that have a bad performance commercially that need some explanation from casting, same for the she get too much money part, rumors were of a 10 million + participation bonus offer for the lead.

Wahlberg is making 15, 19 and 20 million on the Transformer triology, with a participation bonus that start way before profit, Meryl Streep got 5 million for Ricky and the flash. 10m would be a really good price for them (so much that I must imagine she achieved to get more).

Edited by Barnack

1 minute ago, davincicode1 said:

Love interest/side-kick/a partner in crime or whatever this Batou guy was.

I am glad you found it off-putting too, denying or trying to justify this practice is ignorant and inexcusable. Also trying to belittle the lack of representation or insinuating (like others have) that the white actors were better actors and therefore got the job is downright deceitful.

I also cannot believe that I payed 17 dollars to go and watch this pile of shit.

If you had said her partner in Section 9, I would've known who you meant. :lol: 

I don't know if I've read anything about saying the actors cast were inherently better -- I think most defenses for the casting here are the traditional fallback that the movie needed recognizable, established Western actors for worldwide success. And that's an argument studios have made for years, with varying degrees of believability. It's a catch-22, of course, and problematic when you decide to hew closely to the rest of the original's cultural imprint, but there you go.

If they had wanted to go with these actors, a better approach would've been to completely rethink/redesign/re-conceive of the story as taking place in a western city, and rebuild from the ground up. They would've gotten more flack from diehard fans, but it would've made for a better movie. Or, correspondingly, sticking with Japanese and other Asian actors in this specific setting. They tried to have it both ways, and the seams really show.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

Seen Get Out yet?

EDIT: Lol never mind, forgot it hasn't been released in Sweden. My bad.

Edited by Eevin

I only know of GitS by virtue of it's place in pop culture. I plan to see the film and just hope the story they've structured makes sense within itself. It's an adaption and like others of similar fare plot points had to be likely trimmed or eliminated. 

It'll be a late afternoon matinee one day mid week if I can get to it in the next few weeks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davincicode1 said:

I miss time when movies were just a movies, entertainment. And not this political agendas of feminism, diversity or whatever we call this all together crap now. Were we can't watch a movie without someone is pushing a narrative of this crap and can't enjoy the movie for the movie experience, but watch it for different reasons. And if your movie is not diverse of feministic you get backslash. We truly leave is worst society world has ever seen. It's cancerous.  Men, I miss 80's and 90's.... 

EDIT:

Let's be clear here. 

I have problem with whitewashing and blackwashing or whatever washing, feminism or anything else if it's not staying close to source material regardless of property (existing one before, comics, novels, books, manga) for sole reason of diversity and other political agendas.  And I will always fight those guys and Hollywood on that matter.  

Edited by Neno
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Neno said:

I miss time when movies were just a movies, entertainment. And not this political agendas of feminism, diversity or whatever we call this all together crap now. Were we can't watch a movie without someone is pushing a narrative of this crap and can't enjoy the movie for the movie experience, but watch it for different reasons. And if your movie is not diverse of feministic you get backslash. We truly leave is worst society world has ever seen. It's cancerous.  Men, I miss 80's and 90's.... 

Man, when haven't movies had political agendas?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Man, when haven't movies had political agendas?

I feel there was so much less of that in 80's and 90's. It's no wonder best movies, still today are those from that era. 

• Community Manager
7 minutes ago, Neno said:

I feel there was so much less of that in 80's and 90's. It's no wonder best movies, still today are those from that era. 

Right, like Robocop? oh wait that had a political agenda.

Whoops.

• Like 6