spizzer

AWESOME Weekend Estimates BOM | Lego 69.1M | MM 22.7M | RA 9.4M | FRZ 6.9M | VA 4.1M | TAM 5.5M |

If they have released in the same year why does DM2 adjust higher than 368?

I think Mojo's doing something wonky with the adjusted numbers. Didn't someone point out they've started adjusting to quarterly ticket prices, rather than annual. It'll probably even out and be more correct over time, but we're too close to the actual release of both films for it to matter. (Plus, Frozen gets knocked for crossing over the new year.)

As long as Frozen reaches $392 million I'm alright.  That's what it needs to beat DM2's adjusted numbers.

Frozen needs $391.5M to beat DM2's attendance.

By my calculation, with the following 3D shares, DM2 sold:

20% - 42.9M

25% - 42.2M

30% - 41.5M

35% - 40.9M

40% - 40.2M

Monsters University in 2013 got a 31% 3D share, and Croods pulled 38%.  Animation 3D shares were very low last year.  It's likely that both DM2 and Frozen fell between 25-35%.  So we're talking about 41-42M tickets sold at maximum for DM2, and about the same for Frozen given their grosses are roughly equal right now.  Even if prices have gone up since July, Frozen probably needs no more than 5M to definitively overtake DM2's attendance. 

I think Mojo's doing something wonky with the adjusted numbers. Didn't someone point out they've started adjusting to quarterly ticket prices, rather than annual. It'll probably even out and be more correct over time, but we're too close to the actual release of both films for it to matter. (Plus, Frozen gets knocked for crossing over the new year.)

No this is what they've always done.  I've explained the actual issue before.  The average ticket prices reflect just that, average price of a ticket purchased in Quarter X.  This price works when you look at the quarter as a WHOLE, but not when you look at ANY individual film, as each film has a different price breakdown (2D/3D/IMAX split is the primary culprit, but the senior/children discounts factor in as well).  This wasn't as big of a problem Pre-2009, but the 3D boom has made comparing individual films using BOM's price adjuster basically useless.  It cannot be done.

Edited by Spizzer - Manav
  • Like 1

Yeah, I can say my ticket prices definitely didn't change.

Apparently he is directing Salman again in his next film.

http://daily.bhaskar.com/article/ENT-shubhash-ghai-to-work-with-salman-khan-in-2014-4158384-NOR.html

I think AR's music was mesmerizing in the 90's. He has produced great songs since but don't think the soundtracks post 2000 have matched his earlier movies.

I think its fair to say his average is a bit weaker in the 00s, but Delhi 6 and Rockstar are amongst his best work IMO (haven't really expanded beyond his Hindi soundtracks).  He's definitely had some lows in the last few years though.  

I left at 5, so I don't know. I was working the 4 parties we had today and it was pretty crazy.I'm headed up there to watch Robocop in and little while and I'll get the final numbers.

Damn, that must have been one hell of a weekend.  You said 13 total parties from Fri-Sun right?

• Like 1

Has anybody ever thought of doing a running commentary night?  You pick a critically reviled movie to watch, you start a thread for it, and everybody watches it at the exact same time (of the people wanting to participate) and commentate on the trashpile together.

Has anybody ever thought of doing a running commentary night?  You pick a critically reviled movie to watch, you start a thread for it, and everybody watches it at the exact same time (of the people wanting to participate) and commentate on the trashpile together.

Except for the one poor bastard who loves it? :lol:

• Like 2

I think its fair to say his average is a bit weaker in the 00s, but Delhi 6 and Rockstar are amongst his best work IMO (haven't really expanded beyond his Hindi soundtracks).  He's definitely had some lows in the last few years though.  

He basically bid goodbye to Bollywood almost. He stays in LA 6-8 months out of the year apparently.

Rockstar was a good soundtrack like you mentioned. Delhi 6 was good, but somehow doesn't have the repeat listening value that most of Rahman's soundtracks have. Even after all these years, I would still pick Rangeela and Roja as some of his best work.

I heard that his Tamil movie Kadal had some good songs, and this one in particular was a crossover hit. No idea what the lyrics mean, but it is a pretty good song

http://youtu.be/fd8Dp2JvFJk

Highway also seems to have different sounding music, not exactly mainstream friendly

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

He basically bid goodbye to Bollywood almost. He stays in LA 6-8 months out of the year apparently.

Rockstar was a good soundtrack like you mentioned. Delhi 6 was good, but somehow doesn't have the repeat listening value that most of Rahman's soundtracks have. Even after all these years, I would still pick Rangeela and Roja as some of his best work.

I heard that his Tamil movie Kadal had some good songs, and this one in particular was a crossover hit. No idea what the lyrics mean, but it is a pretty good song

http://youtu.be/fd8Dp2JvFJk

Highway also seems to have different sounding music, not exactly mainstream friendly

Yeah, I grew up with Roja, Rangeela, Sapne, Bombay, Dil Se, Earth.  Loved all of those as a child.

From the 2000s, Delhi 6 and Rockstar were the standouts.  Enjoy his collaborations with Gowariker and Ratnam, and Saathiya as well.  But then there's stuff like Blue and JTHJ that just makes me scratch my head.  It's not bad music, per se, but definitely  generic relative to the kind of work he's done before.

Yeah, I grew up with Roja, Rangeela, Sapne, Bombay, Dil Se, Earth.  Loved all of those as a child.

From the 2000s, Delhi 6 and Rockstar were the standouts.  Enjoy his collaborations with Gowariker and Ratnam, and Saathiya as well.  But then there's stuff like Blue and JTHJ that just makes me scratch my head.  It's not bad music, per se, but definitely  generic relative to the kind of work he's done before.

Well, Saathiya was just him recycling his own music from Alaipayuthey. 

Here was a good explanation by a Rahman fan

Now, let me introduce my theory. It called ‘Rahman Knows’.

Rahman, whom many Indians worship as a living God, knows when the film is going to be good. He recognises the value of a well written script, and has a fair understanding of the film maker’s abilities.

It’s only a theory. But the sheer facts and numbers that back the theory can be quite surprising.

Over the years, Rahman has produced music that has been in line with the kind of film that is being made.

Rahman’s music for Hindi films can be broadly classified into four categories.

THE EPIC: In this category, it is a sureshot winner. The director is good, the actors are good, there is a good story, and the music, like the scale, is epic.

There are numerous instances of this. The theme as the last day of cricket unfolds, the track that plays when the minister is being killed, and the grandeur of the Mughal kingdom – the music walks hand in hand with the film, producing a profound effect, that only elevates the film to a different experience altogether.

THE INTENSE: Here, the story is intense. It is not your average soppy Hindi romance. The film might not be an epic hit, but it definitely has a story to tell. Rahman’s music for these films has also been like the films.

The music is not epic, but it is intense and soul-stirring. The heart thumping beats in Dil Se, or the smooth, tragic tunes of 1947 Earth. Or that bit of music, the theme of Bombay that is uplifting and depressing at the same time, Rahman’s music has been on par with the films, and the canvas that they were trying to paint.

THE AVERAGERS: These were films that treaded the line between sensible and your average idiotic Hindi film. These films had their moments, kept you involved, but were not something you would devote time to, after returning home.

If you look at Rahman’s music for these films, it will be like the films themselves. There will be a few good tracks, neither epic, nor intense. Just songs that occupy the large space between great and average. Songs that you would hum for a while, and then relegate to the back of your mind.

Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na, Ghajini, Pukar, Saathiya – the examples are endless.

And finally, comes the last category.

THE BULLSHITTERS: These are the kind of films that are made to squeeze out the superstardom from actors. The stories aren’t much to write home about, and the films are driven more by the status of the leads at the time, rather than the story of the film.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Wolf continues it's really strong run internationally as well pulling in another 19 million this weekend. 

http://www.rentrak.com/section/movies_and_tv_everywhere/top_entertainment_rankings.html

Yeah its going to have a nice gap above Shutter Island.  Fanfuckingtastic.  Marty gets his biggest film ever 51 years into his career.

• Like 1

Yup! We've got our 1:30 next Saturday already bought out and it's in our biggest theater. Then I think we have 3 other parties.

Crazy.  And I think its reasonable to expect that number to go up over the course of the week, given the long weekend?

:lol:  Wow that actually fits perfectly

That post made me go back and check out this scene. Still just as awesome 12 years on. Everything about it is just awesome, the buildup, the fake-out ending when you think 'They didn't just do that', the no-ball call, and the epic buildup to the final ball and the second fake-out ending. 

Man Lagaan was awesome

• Like 1