Shawn Robbins

Weekend numbers Feb 14-16

Meh...I still think Gravity had the best run from last year. .

Also CF will enter the top 10 domestic this week and should stay there until TA2 comes out.

Gravity was definitely impressive but I think in terms of sustained success and pre-release expectations Frozen's run is head and shoulders above everything in the last 20 years not named Titanic or Avatar.

Edited by FrozenFanatic

Meh...I still think Gravity had the best run from last year. .

Also CF will enter the top 10 domestic this week and should stay there until TA2 comes out.

best dom run yes but ww belongs to frozen. Nobody expected it to hit 900M let alone 1B(maybe even w/o japan)

• Like 1

best dom: CF (first sequel to 350m+/400m+ to cross 400m+ and have a better multiplier fighting laws of sequelitis)

best os: IM3 (come on, 806m!? against TA's 895m? that's something. using that ratio(895/806), it's like getting 560m dom)

best ww: Frozen (2nd most impressive run dom after CF and 2nd most impressive run OS after IM3)

• Like 3

Gravity was definitely impressive but I think in terms of sustained success and pre-release expectations Frozen's run is head and shoulders above everything in the last 20 years not named Titanic or Avatar.

Ok...pre-release expectations for Gravity were miniscule compared to what it actually did and it's sustained success rivals anything released the last few years in my book. Also, I get that I a lot users are wrapped up in the Frozen craze but you guys saying that Frozens run is the best in the last 20 year, better than Avatars, or the best from the VHS area really need to put things in perspective IMO.

Edited by Moviefanatic

Ok...pre-release expectations for Gravity were miniscule compared to what it actually did and it's sustained success rivals anything released the last few years in my book. Also, I get that I a lot users are wrapped up in the Frozen craze but you guys saying that Frozens run is the best in the last 20 year, better than Avatars, or the best from the VHS area really need to look put things in perspective IMO.

First off, I explicitly excluded Avatar and Titanic when I made my statement. Second, sure Gravity over performed but I would hardly say that it literally doubled pre-release expectations like Frozen did. It made 700m which is great but it was a still a big-budget film with two very bankable stars. The legs were impressive for both but Frozen's holds still blow it out of the water. #1 in its 6th weekend and top 5 for 11 consecutive weeks. 

I didn't really follow CF, but I remember its first week or two many doubted it would even cross 400m so in that respect its late legs were damn impressive. IM3's OS take was obviously more interesting than its domestic gross.

Yeah CF being purely 2d and still taking the top spot is just crazy.

• Like 1

First off, I explicitly excluded Avatar and Titanic when I made my statement. Second, sure Gravity over performed but I would hardly say that it literally doubled pre-release expectations like Frozen did. It made 700m which is great but it was a still a big-budget film with two very bankable stars. The legs were impressive for both but Frozen's holds still blow it out of the water. #1 in its 6th weekend and top 5 for 11 consecutive weeks. 

I'm aware of that. My comment was referring to others that have said that an argument can be made for it being better than those two. Secondly, I still wouldn't say this is the best run in 20 years without looking at data. There were a ton of fantastic runs that occurred during that time. Anyway, opinions are fun. I'm sticking with Gravity. Love Frozens run and I want it to pass IM3 so that we can say the top 2 movies released on the same weekend. 

I didn't really follow CF, but I remember its first week or two many doubted it would even cross 400m so in that respect its late legs were damn impressive. IM3's OS take was obviously more interesting than its domestic gross.

And we can finally stop saying a sequel can't out gross its 400 million predecessor.

I'm aware of that. My comment was referring to others that have said that an argument can be made for it being better than those two. Secondly, I still wouldn't say this is the best run in 20 years without looking at data. There were a ton of fantastic runs that occurred during that time. Anyway, opinions are fun. I'm sticking with Gravity. Love Frozens run and I want it to pass IM3 so that we can say the top 2 movies released on the same weekend. 

Fair enough, and that's what opinions are for so I can't really blame you for picking something else. it's just been great to follow this awesome run these last couple months  :)

• Like 1