Shawn Robbins

Weekend numbers Feb 14-16

Ozymandias is the name of a pivotal episode in the final season of Breaking Bad and since his pic is of Walter White I'm assuming that's where he got the name.

Oh thanks. I don't watch breaking bad. I had no idea. I know it's a Shelley poem and a character in Watchmen.

I've been meaning to ask you this. Was your screen name inspired by Watchmen or the other Ozymandias?

MAYBE you could make the argument for Forrest and the Sixth Sense maybe but the rest had nowhere near the type of legs Frozen has had.

The Sixth Sense was a surprise hit that adjusts to 480m

Forrest Gump was a surprise hit that adjusts to 655m

Passion of the Christ was an unexpected colossal hit and is still by far the highest grossing R-rated film, and it adjusts to 499m.

So yeah, absolutely no question there with those 3.

And you could easily argue Skyfall and Spiderman 1 are more impressive than Frozen's run.  Frozen is basically just another Shrek(which adjusts to 394m).

Edited by Ozymandias

Passion of the Christ was an unexpected colossal hit and is still by far the highest grossing R-rated, and it adjusts to 499m.

And you could easily argue Skyfall and Spiderman 1 are more impressive than Frozen's run.  Frozen is just another Shrek(which adjusts to 394m).

I want to like your post because I love me some Bryan Cranston reading some Bad-ass 19th century poetry but I still think you are underestimating Frozen's run. Sure inflation is a component but the fact that it had still maintained over 2000 theaters three months into its run is just ridiculous. Heck it was number 2 at the domestic box office in its tenth week! 

So why are we comparing Frozen to movies that came out 10-20 years ago when movies obviously had better legs?

Frozen when comparing actual movies released around the same period like Despicable Me 2 and Toy Story 3 obviously holds up. Those movies had massive openings, but legs are the reason Frozen is holding up so we against them.

• Like 2

So why are we comparing Frozen to movies that came out 10-20 years ago when movies obviously had better legs?

Frozen when comparing actual movies released around the same period like Despicable Me 2 and Toy Story 3 obviously holds up. Those movies had massive openings, but legs are the reason Frozen is holding up so we against them.

Calling Frozen the most impressive BO performance of the last 20 years barring Titanic and Avatar is fanboy nonsense.  Movies may have usually had better legs 10-20 years ago, but 3 of the examples I posted still blow the hell out of Frozen adjusted to the point where that argument hardly matters.

Passion of the Christ was an unexpected colossal hit and is still by far the highest grossing R-rated film, and it adjusts to 499m.

And you could easily argue Skyfall and Spiderman 1 are more impressive than Frozen's run.  Frozen is basically just another Shrek(which adjusts to 394m).

I wouldn't call Forrest Gump a surprise hit. It was expected to make money because Tom Hanks track record at the time was growing and growing.

It just caught on more than the studios expected.

Edited by Fancyarcher

I wouldn't call Forrest Gump a surprise hit. It was expected to make money because Tom Hanks track record at the time was growing and growing.

It just caught on more than the studios expected.

...Frozen is an animation family movie(which are relatively safe bets) expected to make money, it just caught on more than studios expected.

• Like 3

Calling Frozen the most impressive BO performance of the last 20 years barring Titanic and Avatar is fanboy nonsense.  Movies may have usually had better legs 10-20 years ago, but 3 of the examples I posted still blow the hell out of Frozen adjusted to the point where that argument hardly matters.

fair enough that you go for the 20 year period when somebody says 10 to 20 years... that might have been a little overenthusiastic. But if we look at the last ten years most of the examples you mention fall out of the comparison. And Passion of the Christ (which just barely falls into the time interval) really was a pretty localized phenomenon... also saying that animation movies are safe bets is pretty strange since they can bomb really hard (look at atlantis for example). Animation is probably the most expensive way to make a movie ((edit)this is slowly changing but frozen belongs to the old guard of expensive movies ;) (edit) )...

Edited by chuck0

Animation is probably the most expensive way to make a movie ((edit)this is slowly changing but frozen belongs to the old guard of expensive movies ;)

I wouldn't call Frozen's 150M DOM budget expensive. That's the standard blockbuster budget these days.

Box office rule discussion number one : never bring up Titanic or Avatar.

For your own sake, those two movies are in their own categories by themselves BO wise, Titanic especially which is probably the biggest hit of all time in its initial run.

• Like 1

Okay then how about My Big Fat Greek Wedding?

This movie is never discussed here, yet it cost nothing to make ( it had the production values of a bad tv movie)  and made tons of money,I bet Tom Hanks' wife is living quite the life since ...

• Like 3

I wouldn't call Frozen's 150M DOM budget expensive. That's the standard blockbuster budget these days.

Yeah, that is not a big budget at all. Especially for a big animated movie. 

right... i shouldnt have said expensive... what i was trying to counter was the statement that animation movies are cheap... :)

Most impressive movie legs from the last 5 years? Outside Avatar, I don't really recall any recent movies having much more impressive legs than Frozen.

If we take away Frozen limited first 5 day theater run, Finding Nemo, Shrek 2, Toy Story 3, DM2 had much higher first 4 weekends, but Frozen has been kicking their asses starting in weekend 5. It has really been no competition.

http://boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=weekend&id=animationalltime.htm

Edited by Mojoguy

...Frozen is an animation family movie(which are relatively safe bets) expected to make money, it just caught on more than studios expected.

They're safe bets but not necessarily in Disney's recent experience. The pre-release predictions had it tracking around the lines of Wreck-It-Ralph (185-190m) so to say that it merely caught on more than expected is an understatement  to say the least. Besides, most of the movies you mentioned had significantly higher percentages of the total numbers coming from the domestic market whereas Frozen has done well in the US but has also become something of a global phenomenon.