grim22

Weekend#s: Neeson wins. Non Stop 30M | Son of God 26.5M | Lego 21M | Frozen crosses 1B WW

Given the bad WOM over Son of God from my personal circle, I wonder if these opinions translate nationwide and Saturday/Sunday will end up being underwhelming.  We could also see huge drops next weekend.  Still, it will definitely make a healthy profit.  

Edited by lilmac

Divergent is already tracking in the low 50s with three weeks to go. This movie is not going to flop and people here continually underestimate LGF/Summit's ability to market movies to young adults. Twilight and THG are obvious examples but neither Ender's Game nor Warm Bodies were flops.

• Like 2

Yeah, I've been thinking for a while now that the two big surprises this year would be Divergent and Godzilla, due to the popularity of both. Lots of folks are jumping on the Godzilla bandwagon thanks to those incredible trailers, and I think folks are also slowly realizing that there is also a significant audience for Divergent too. It's bigger than a lot of the other "failed" YA adaptations. We'll just jave to wait and see if the movie is any good, and whether the legs will fall off the cliff in the second weekend.

• Founder / Operator

Divergent is already tracking in the low 50s with three weeks to go. This movie is not going to flop and people here continually underestimate LGF/Summit's ability to market movies to young adults. Twilight and THG are obvious examples but neither Ender's Game nor Warm Bodies were flops.

Totally agreed... except maybe for Ender's, heh.

• Like 4

Totally agreed... except maybe for Ender's, heh.

I think they gave up on Ender's Game though, for whatever reason, given they put it up in the same month as the Hunger Games and right before director competition.

Even though the movie wasn't all that good, they really didn't give it any room to succeed.

People thought Warm Bodies flopped? I actually thought it over performed. I think I was expecting something like 40m, but I really liked it and was happy to see it go to 66m, with a decent 50m overseas.

Ender's Game was a flop, 112m WW on a 110m budget. There's no good way to spin those numbers. Taking everything into account DVD, TV rights, etc), it'll probably end up only being a small loss overall, but a loss nonetheless.

People thought Warm Bodies flopped? I actually thought it over performed. I think I was expecting something like 40m, but I really liked it and was happy to see it go to 66m, with a decent 50m overseas.

Ender's Game was a flop, 112m WW on a 110m budget. There's no good way to spin those numbers. Taking everything into account DVD, TV rights, etc), it'll probably end up only being a small loss overall, but a loss nonetheless.

I'll agree, Warm Bodies was a nice surprise in the very dry early months in 2013.

I just thought of something weird, Will Smith just won his Razzie while Matthew McConaughey is going on to win his Oscar, about 10 years ago or so you'd think this situation would have been flipped.

• Like 2

Smith will be back though :P (Some actors people like to make fun of, still Cruise gets the most hate it seems I'm one of the few people who still like him, but his comments as of late are questionable)

The Debate is over.  Liam is an Actor Star Period. This is basically "Taken" on a plane but audiences are eating it up. So props to Qui Gon. 

Of course! springtime cannot begin until we have Liam Neeson beating the shit out of something 

Ender's Game bombed and mainly due to the horrid marketing. Making it look too childish for adults but too mature for kids. They had no idea how to sell it. Shouldn't have tried to target toward the "YA crowd" to begin with. Not to mention the ads caused comparison to things like The Last Starfighter and Wing Commander which is not good obviously