grim22

Weekend#s: Neeson wins. Non Stop 30M | Son of God 26.5M | Lego 21M | Frozen crosses 1B WW

Something I've wondered about Obi Wan in ANH, he tells Solo they'll pay 17,000, did he have that money on him? Like when he went in hiding did he draw money from the bank?

They sold the hovercar, right? I'm sure that thing's worth a lot  ;)

That's pretty awesome. Bring on Robocop 2!

(Or Robocop 5 or whatever you want to number it. I think Robocop has had 4 movies, 4 tv series, and about 70-75 various issues of comic books. Not the most famous sci-fi property of all time, but it certainly hasn't been forgotten since the 80s.)

Something I've wondered about Obi Wan in ANH, he tells Solo they'll pay 17,000, did he have that money on him? Like when he went in hiding did he draw money from the bank?

The easiest thing, really, would be to just use the Jedi mind trick on Han. I mean, they weren't buddies or anything at that point, so why not?

Frozen is pretty much as original a property as Titanic. Of the billion dollar films, Avatar can claim to be more original.

Originality isn't binary, I suppose.

"Originality" is poorly defined. What's more original? A new twist on an existing property (be it Frozen or Blade or whatever you want) or generic action movie starring Seagal (or Van Damme or even Liam Neeson) #845? Or generic romance that follows the exact same path as every other one, even though it's not based on any pre-existing characters?

• Like 3

I'm going to respond to these here because they were posted here, but anything beyond this I would appreciate if you PM what I hope will be your mature and well-thought responses instead of cluttering this forum with them.

I understand that we currently live in world in which many deem it acceptable to make fun of Christians and Christianity, but that doesn't mean that you should do so.  And if you do decide to go down that road, it doesn't make it right or less hurtful.  If Non-Stop was up against a movie depicting Islam, I seriously doubt any of you would have posted anything along the lines of what the quoted posts illustrate, let alone have gotten away with it without some level of backlash.  All I ask is that Christians and Christianity be shown the same "respect/deference" in this forum - and on BOM in general - that is shown toward other religions and to those who support gay rights. 

By the way, I'm PMing this post to Shawn and the mods.

There's no reason to PM you. All of these posts were jokes. Not one of them was a serious critique of Christianity and none of them said it was stupid to be Christian. We were having a little fun with the #s, I don't see why there's any reason to be worked up. In other words, we were laughing, but we weren't making fun of Christians.Also, to say we live in a world where it's acceptable to make fun of Christianity, but not necessarily Islam is simply not true. There have been plenty of jokes made about all religions, Christianity is not the only religion being made fun of. 

Edited by Dark Jedi Master 007
  • Like 1

Frozen is pretty much as original a property as Titanic. Of the billion dollar films, Avatar can claim to be more original.

Originality isn't binary, I suppose.

What's funny is I still think Frozen has a more original and unique story than Avatar, which has a cliche story that has been done quite a few times.  

• Like 4

"Originality" is poorly defined. What's more original? A new twist on an existing property (be it Frozen or Blade or whatever you want) or generic action movie starring Seagal (or Van Damme or even Liam Neeson) #845? Or generic romance that follows the exact same path as every other one, even though it's not based on any pre-existing characters?

Pretty much. The labels and boxes we put on things aren't always useful.

What's funny is I still think Frozen has a more original and unique story than Avatar, which has a cliche story that has been done quite a few times.  

Yeah, I was going to make a point that Avatar's originality is in spite of the fact it's pretty much assembled from a hodge-podge of other sci-fi properties.

But it's like, nothing truly unique is going to make that sort of business. Even if Frozen was a completely original story, it would still have that connection to the Disney name and the history of Disney musicals.

Ruthie I'll respond here. I wasn't making fun of Christianity or Christians in any way. I was born and raised Catholic myself. And while I rarely attend services regularly any more. I do read the Bible on occasion, I say a prayer nightly and I very much believe Jesus died for our sins.

Edited by DAR
  • Like 5

Pretty much. The labels and boxes we put on things aren't always useful.

Yeah, I was going to make a point that Avatar's originality is in spite of the fact it's pretty much assembled from a hodge-podge of other sci-fi properties.

But it's like, nothing truly unique is going to make that sort of business. Even if Frozen was a completely original story, it would still have that connection to the Disney name and the history of Disney musicals.

The connection helps, but given the only other Disney musical to get close to a billion was The Lion King and it says something.

The connection helps, but given the only other Disney musical to get close to a billion was The Lion King and it says something.

Well, yes. A film doesn't get to a billion without something that the audience latches onto. All billion dollar films are special, in some way.

Well, yes. A film doesn't get to a billion without something that the audience latches onto. All billion dollar films are special, in some way.

Yep I will always be impressed with a billion

Transformers is special for just how bad it is I suppose.

• Like 1

I'm going to respond to these here because they were posted here, but anything beyond this I would appreciate if you PM what I hope will be your mature and well-thought responses instead of cluttering this forum with them.

I understand that we currently live in world in which many deem it acceptable to make fun of Christians and Christianity, but that doesn't mean that you should do so.  And if you do decide to go down that road, it doesn't make it right or less hurtful.  If Non-Stop was up against a movie depicting Islam, I seriously doubt any of you would have posted anything along the lines of what the quoted posts illustrate, let alone have gotten away with it without some level of backlash.  All I ask is that Christians and Christianity be shown the same "respect/deference" in this forum - and on BOM in general - that is shown toward other religions and to those who support gay rights. 

By the way, I'm PMing this post to Shawn and the mods.

Then Non-Stop would be a islam dunk  :ph34r:

EDIT: Hear what you are saying though.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

non-stop was great liam neeson is great B) , the villain reasons were bleh but who cares this was liam's show 

that scene were he

caught the gun in mid-air and him and the bad guy played out a classic western duel

ON A PLANE !!!! cheers in the theatre 

my problem with it is that when i saw the trailer on youtube in the comments someone posted a spoiler and said it was the stewardess from downton abbey and i believed them grrrrrrr so the entire movie i looked at her with suspicion  <_<

I really was enjoying Non-Stop and then when you get to the villain reveal and the motivation, it was just a liberal sucker punch that took you out of the film.  And, of course, the Muslim guy is the nicest, most helpful person in the world, lol.