Impact

Best Actor 2014 predictions!

Carrell or Keaton, IMO. Carrell could get it if Foxcatcher takes off after release and he maybe gets some SAG love. Keaton will probably take it otherwise due to critics and being overdue.

I don't even think Carell's a for sure nom. Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think he's in...

I think it'll be Eddie vs Keaton. Eddie is in a movie that's catching buzz at the perfect moment. This is DBC 2.0 and I heard that the Globes love TOE so this will be very good news for the team. 

I'm gonna say Eddie wins this in the end because i think the awards landscape will be easier for him. He's probably got BAFTA wrapped up now, and he'll win one of SAG and GG, and that's generally enough to win. Especially BAFTA because it's 2 weeks later than everything else and it coincides perfectly with AMPAS voters getting their ballots for final voting. And Eddie's name and win will be in their faces as a large plurality of them return their ballots near the beginning. 

• Like 1

Can they just expand the Actor category to 6 already? It's stacked every single year.

It would just mean a snub for #7, 8 etc.  And they'd have to do the same for Best Actress which more often than not very thin since too many of the great performances are in films too small or foreign to mount campaigns.

• Like 1

Okay based off of peoples predictions it seems that everyone is predicting everyone to be a first timer in the acting wins. Which 2005 was the first time since 1961 that it happened.

People bring up the "First time in x since it happened" as if it actually matters.

Just because something hasn't happened often doesn't mean there are exceptions or bucks to a trend.

From the Oscar game:

Steve Carell for Foxcatcher

Benedict Cumberbatch for The Imitation Game

Michael Keaton for Birdman

David Oyelowo for Selma

Eddie Redmayne for The Theory of Everything

Alt: Jack O'Connell for Unbroken

• Like 1

Upon looking over my best actor predictions I noticed that they would be all first time nominees if they are the nominees. Which is nearly impossible to happen.

The last time this category was all first timers was in 1935!

Last time for lead actress was in 1970, which is the only time since the 2nd Oscars that has happened.

Edited by Impact
  • Like 1