Impact

Best Director-2014 Predictions!

Selma - MLK biopic releasing on Christmas day. DuVernay will be this year's "historic" candidate.

Oh. I asked cause I checked and saw that the release date was the 9th of January, 2015. Just checked again and it's limited on 25. Thanks.

You think she could pull it off, though? I mean, just the idea of the movie doesn't secure her the spot.

Oh. I asked cause I checked and saw that the release date was the 9th of January, 2015. Just checked again and it's limited on 25. Thanks.

You think she could pull it off, though? I mean, just the idea of the movie doesn't secure her the spot.

If the movie gets good enough reviews, sure. She's got a narrative, and her last film was really well received (won director prize at Sundance).

linklater wont get it..they generally dont award indie productions, they leave them to the other indie circuits. it'll be forgotten by awards season just like before midnight. oscars generally have to be major releases and productions e.g. lincoln, argo, gravity etc.

gone girl should get it i.e. fincher. it looks amazing.

Edited by Halba
  • Like 1

you're listing films that were distributed by fox searchlight and spc and the like who are really good at oscar campaigning, but boyhood is IFC which has gotten screenplay nods for a couple films (in the loop, greek wedding, y tu mama tambien) and nothing else really.

• Like 1

I'm thinking closer to The Hurt Locker, except without the actual Best Picture Oscar. I think, like THL, Boyhood has a strong chance to sweep the critics' awards for BP and BD (especially the latter), which will raise some awareness. And what you said about IFC is true, obviously, but they should know this is a special opportunity for them if they ever had one. I think they'll do as much as they can here.

• Like 1

Jolie

PTA

Inarritu 

Miller

Tyldum

other contenders

Linklater

Fincher

Dark Horses 

DuVernay

Burton

I'm not really feeling PTA anymore. I think Linklater's probably a better bet than him, maybe Fincer as well. 

• Like 1