JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

I would call it a decrease. TASM opening in 2nd behind Ted. TASM2 had less competition plus public holidays and school holidays and still couldn't open higher.

There is something though that TASM 2 does not face that TASM did in it's 3rd weekend.  The Dark Knight Rises destroyed TASM's third weekend.

A better comparison for TASM 2 is Thor from 3 years ago.

Thor opened to 5.4m on the 21st April (and both Easter & ANZAC day fell on the same weekend that year) and Thor went on to make 19m.

I've put up a showdown on my blog:

The Amazing Spider-man Showdown

It tells an interesting picture but TASM's path was cut short in a big way on it's third weekend thanks to batman.  Hence I think Thor is the better comparison here.

I wonder how close TASM2 and TOW will be this weekend. They probably will be 1and 2 again unless Transcendence over performs.

Given transcendence's performance stateside I'm not seeing an opening above 2m at this point.  Not saying it's impossible for this open bigger than that, but that film just appears to be a mess (even before the US opening I was thinking that)

There is something though that TASM 2 does not face that TASM did in it's 3rd weekend.  The Dark Knight Rises destroyed TASM's third weekend. A better comparison for TASM 2 is Thor from 3 years ago. Thor opened to 5.4m on the 21st April (and both Easter & ANZAC day fell on the same weekend that year) and Thor went on to make 19m. I've put up a showdown on my blog: The Amazing Spider-man Showdown It tells an interesting picture but TASM's path was cut short in a big way on it's third weekend thanks to batman.  Hence I think Thor is the better comparison here.

I forgot about that. TASM got hammered by TDKR on its 3rd weekend whereas there doesn't actually seem to be a wide release next weekend.

There is something though that TASM 2 does not face that TASM did in it's 3rd weekend.  The Dark Knight Rises destroyed TASM's third weekend.

A better comparison for TASM 2 is Thor from 3 years ago.

Thor opened to 5.4m on the 21st April (and both Easter & ANZAC day fell on the same weekend that year) and Thor went on to make 19m.

I've put up a showdown on my blog:

The Amazing Spider-man Showdown

It tells an interesting picture but TASM's path was cut short in a big way on it's third weekend thanks to batman.  Hence I think Thor is the better comparison here.

Wait TASM dropped almost 75% in its 3rd weekend? :o

As I suspected might happen. TOW looks like being number 1 this weekend. From HR. The Other Woman is also prospering in Australia, where it opened last weekend opposite The Amazing Spider-Man 2. The female comedy debuted to $4.2 million for the weekend, compared to $5.2 million for Spider-Man 2, but pulled ahead of the superhero tentpole on Wednesday. It came in No. 1 Thursday and Friday as well.

• Like 1

Yes thanks to TDKR. It happened in other countries too. In the UK for instance ASM made 6m second weekend but only 1m third weekend. That's why I want to observe ASm2 over the coming weeks

And TASM2 will be brought down by.....the Giant Lizard?

It's Sony vs Warner all over again.

Sony: "First it was the Bat, now the g*damn lizard! A lizard!!!"

Junior Exec:"Kinda ironic, in TASM1 Spidey beats the Lizard!"

Senior Exec: "Shuddup!!"

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 1

And TASM2 will be brought down by.....the Giant Lizard?

It's Sony vs Warner all over again.

Sony: "First it was the Bat, now the g*damn lizard! A lizard!!!"

Junior Exec:"Kinda ironic, in TASM1 Spidey beats the Lizard!"

Senior Exec: "Shuddup!!"

Brilliant script, Zack.  :lol:

This is unreal for Spidey. Great for the other woman.

I expected more as in Australia, Friday was a public holiday.    The Other Woman is doing unreal here.. Spidey, not so much...  still on track for 17m to 19m i think but still i had hope for a total > 20m for some reason.

If we go by the multiplier of 10 rule (when comparing the gross to a US gross), so you guys are saying that TOW has made the equivalent of 100M in two weeks?   :o

• Like 1